Canned chicken

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This weekend we killed three chickens. On sunday I canned two of them. Two chickens and 2 partridges. Since I could not find anywhere that said I could not put vegies in with it that is how I did it. I think it turned out well. I used celery, carrots, onions and sugar snap peas. Of course eating it will be the real test. :D
I have did quite a bit of pressure cooking in my life. But this was the first time using the pressure canner. IT was interesting to say the least. The petcock doesnt jiggle like a pressure cooker does. I did find it scary to adjust it.
I wish the canner was larger, it can only do 5 quarts.
Overall it was a good day.:)

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so glad I am not hte only one that cans chicken. I have people tell me allt he time that I am a nut, I just tell them that at least I am screwed on the right bolt. LOL :0

We are planning to process our birds (broilers) in late Nov. and ia m going to can 3/4 of them and freeze only a 1/4 of them for hubby. We have 34 to process so I pray all goes well.

Thanks for the idea of maybe adding a few veggies to the chicken, sounds like it would make a wonderful stuffing. YUMMY!!!!!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How do you plan on doing it? Have you canned chicken before?
No, you are not alone :)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
*jumps up and down* OH OH OH!!!! lol....I've canned chicken, but not yet with veggies. I cooked it, and had broth (with a bullion cube) waiting to pour in the jar. It is sooooo good!! And the beef, and the pork? OMG YUMMY!!!

Today is gonna be chicken soup. I've got the bones boiling in broth as we speak, and will get that put in the jars with the meat to process. I cooked the chicken originally in the crock pot with broth, veggies, and seasoning, then strained. PUlled the meat off the bones, then put those back into a pot with the strained broth....if nothing else my house smells good between that simmering and the bread baking, LOL

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Usually I just can the breast~deboned and no skin. i cut it in pieces, cook it till the broth is hot and then put it int he jars.

But this time will be different. I am gonna put the whole chicken in the jar, minus the skin. I was told to leave the bone in for flavoring.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Acre of Blessing, is it ok to leave the bones in? I know it wont hurt the meat but I thought I read somewhere you had to take them out because it would take too much ?processing time. That is why I didnt leave the bones in. I did like pioneergirl and deboned.
We need to check the Ball wesite for canning. :)

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
roosmom said:
Acre of Blessing, is it ok to leave the bones in? I know it wont hurt the meat but I thought I read somewhere you had to take them out because it would take too much ?processing time. That is why I didnt leave the bones in. I did like pioneergirl and deboned.
We need to check the Ball wesite for canning. :)
My Ball Canning book states for Hot Pack ~~ that if the bone is taken out it is processed 1 hr. 30 min. and if the bone is left in it is processed 1 hr. 15 min. both at 10 lbs. pressure.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is really good to know. Thanks AoB.
The only thing that makes me mad about the processing I did this last weekend, the stupid lid to the pressure canner wouldnt screw on for the second batch. Nothing I tried worked. It was, "put it on and try to turn it and it just wouldnt turn, not even budge.
I need to find another pressure canner if this one is going to not let me do a second batch.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
roosmom said:
That is really good to know. Thanks AoB.
The only thing that makes me mad about the processing I did this last weekend, the stupid lid to the pressure canner wouldnt screw on for the second batch. Nothing I tried worked. It was, "put it on and try to turn it and it just wouldnt turn, not even budge.
I need to find another pressure canner if this one is going to not let me do a second batch.
Take it to your co-op and let them check it for you. This way you just may need a seal instead of a new canner.