Canned chicken

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, no.......the seal is brand new. This lid just wouldnt budge. It almost seems like once it got heated up, it would not meet correctly. I can close it now that it is cooled down.
I wouldnt buy a new one. A relative has my aunts (god rest her soul) and is scared to death to can, she said I can borrow hers :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Since this was already here I decided to ask my question here on canning chickens and other meats.

Someone told me a few months back that when canning meat to put the jars in the canner upside down. When I ask why they said that during the canning process all the fat goes to the top and as sucked under the lid which will cause the seal to fail sometimes. But by processing upside down the fat goes to the bottom part of the jar leaving water only to be sucked out.

Anyone ever heard of this? Anyone process meat with the jars upside down?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
Since this was already here I decided to ask my question here on canning chickens and other meats.

Someone told me a few months back that when canning meat to put the jars in the canner upside down. When I ask why they said that during the canning process all the fat goes to the top and as sucked under the lid which will cause the seal to fail sometimes. But by processing upside down the fat goes to the bottom part of the jar leaving water only to be sucked out.

Anyone ever heard of this? Anyone process meat with the jars upside down?
Hmmmm, don't think I've heard of that before but I've never had a seal fail unless I filled the jar too full or didn't clean the rim enough before sealing.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream...I honestly have never heard of turning the jars upside down in the pressure canner, but I won't say that it doesn't sound like an idea.

I would actually be to afraid of doing that, with the long processing time, the seal may actually get to hot and literally melt. Then you wouldn't have any seal left to seal. Possibility.

Now I have heard up turning them upside down while cooling and the fat would go to the bottom that way, but I would be careful, really careful about trying it the other way.

I haven't had a jar fail me yet and I've canned meat for years. I've never had an issue with the fat being at the top. I just usually spoon it out when I open it up.

Hope this info is informational to you.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks farmalor and Acre of Blessings
I have never canned meat before but intend to this year. I had never heard of anything like that either but thought well heck, there are a lot of things I have never heard of and figured this was the best place to find out. I will stick with the tried and true upright jars. It sounded strange to me especially after I did extensive research on the internet and could not find a single thing anywhere. The man that told me about this probably saw his wife or mother cool the jars upside down and asked why and he probably thought they canned them that way.

Acre of Blessings, my thought was the same as yours.....Won't the seal melt? You have confirmed my thinking. Thanks

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
In my last batch of broth (last week) I didn't de-fat the broth as much as usual because I didn't have fridge space to cool it in and it is no longer cool enough on the porch, so I skimmed my best! So some fat remained in the jars.

I took the lid off the canner the second the valve dropped, and one of the jars was literally SPITTING fat and broth, I slapped that canner lid right back on until it cooled some more, lest I get splashed.

That was not the jar that didn't seal! Hot fat was spraying out of that jar, and it sealed perfectly. Hmmm.... :hu

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
Thanks farmalor and Acre of Blessings
I have never canned meat before but intend to this year. I had never heard of anything like that either but thought well heck, there are a lot of things I have never heard of and figured this was the best place to find out. I will stick with the tried and true upright jars. It sounded strange to me especially after I did extensive research on the internet and could not find a single thing anywhere. The man that told me about this probably saw his wife or mother cool the jars upside down and asked why and he probably thought they canned them that way.

Acre of Blessings, my thought was the same as yours.....Won't the seal melt? You have confirmed my thinking. Thanks
Like you said.....Stick with the tried and true ways of canning and you should be fine. And remember this.....the fat in the jars also give it flavoring. So you have to have some fat left in the jars.

Happy Canning :)