Canned milk?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Jen-pi said:
I wish I had some sourdough starter!
I bet you have the ingredients in your kitchen!

Best starter is made and fed with rye, but you can use whole wheat.
Just mix equal portions together, 1 cup each is ideal, place in a glass bowl or jar and cover with a clean cloth and rubber band.
Every day, add 1 cup each of cold water and flour, gently stiring it in.
After 7 days, you will have a very nice starter!

Now, we do not throw out every time we add. Its just so wasteful!
Instead, in the evening on day 7, take 2 quarts of your starter, put in the mixer and add 1 tbls of sea salt and 13 cups of flour. The white whole wheat flour or spelt are ideal, as they will give you a soft sourdough.

Now add 1/4 cup of cold water and turn on the mixer. Add a tiny bit more water if needed.
You want the dough to fairly soft.
Mix for about 5 minutes.
If you have to do this by hand, mix and knead for 15 minutes.

Then shape into loaves or rolls, place in pans, and cover with towels. Place in cozy spot, such as the top of your fridge, or the cupboard above your fridge.
Let it rise overnight, and then bake at 350 till done!

Sourdough does tend to dry our easily, so wraping and storing it in the fridge is a good idea.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Forgot to add, that you start refeeding your sourdough right away after making bread.
Depending on your familys need for bread, you can adjust how much you feed the starter.
A large family may need 2-3 jars of starter going, but 1-2 people may only need a half batch, so it can be fed 1/2 a cup of flour and water each time.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Jen-pi said:
No, thats fine.
I just read (longingly) about some people with excess milk, but never heard of it being put up that way.
I was reading a blog last night (cant remember which one) about using "canned" milk. I figured it was just what she called evap. milk, but I wanted to ask.
THis is the way I look at it. Traditional versus modern.
Cheese versus canned milk
yeast bread versus sourdough
Canned veges versus root cellar and fermented veges

One is nourishing while the other can be toxic, and is generally non nourishing.
Bubblingbrooks, could you elaborate on this please? Are you saying that yeast bread is in the same league as canned milk?

Edited because I left out a word

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Jen-pi said:
No, thats fine.
I just read (longingly) about some people with excess milk, but never heard of it being put up that way.
I was reading a blog last night (cant remember which one) about using "canned" milk. I figured it was just what she called evap. milk, but I wanted to ask.

One is nourishing while the other can be toxic, and is generally non nourishing.
Bubblingbrooks, could you elaborate on this please? Are you saying that yeast bread is in the same league as canned milk?

Could be.....preparing grains quickly means the nutrients are not truly released and all the phytic acid is still intact.
Hence the reason we have Celiacs and tooth decay today.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
ORChick said:
Bubblingbrooks said:

Could be.....preparing grains quickly means the nutrients are not truly released and all the phytic acid is still intact.
So it isn't the yeast per se, its the quickness of the process. Somehow I've never associated "yeast baking" with "quick" :lol:, but I see what you mean. Using soaked/sprouted grains/flour would get around that, I imagine - which I have been doing (though not yet at every baking) since getting my grain mill. I like both yeast and sourdough breads, and don't always find them to be interchangeable.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
ORChick said:

So it isn't the yeast per se, its the quickness of the process. Somehow I've never associated "yeast baking" with "quick" :lol:, but I see what you mean. Using soaked/sprouted grains/flour would get around that, I imagine - which I have been doing (though not yet at every baking) since getting my grain mill. I like both yeast and sourdough breads, and don't always find them to be interchangeable.
Yes, its just the terminology ;)
You can make the 24 hour bread that uses a tiny bit of yeast, but it rises for so long that is considered a good bread.
Wardeh has an amzing sourdough class that teaches how to make just about every bread product out there with sourdough.
http://gnowfglins.com/

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks! I've bookmarked that to look at in more detail later. Looks very interesting.