Canned water

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald said:
ORChick said:
Whenever I have glass bottles of any type I just make sure they are super clean, fill them up with water, cap them, and store them in the pantry. Our tap water tests good, though I use a Brita filter because it smells of chlorine - so I use the filtered water to fill the bottles, and pour it back through the filter again when I use it. I date the bottles, and use the water, and refill after, at most, a year. When I have a liquor bottle emptied I don't wash it, I just fill it up with water, and figure that the last 3 drops in there will help with keeping it good :D. Perhaps I should consider using the canning jars too.
You know that if you take a nice big glass pitcher of water and put it in the fridge for about 24 hours with a loose fitting cap/top the chlorine will evaporate out of it and it will taste much better.
I hated living in the city where you had to "treat" your water or the fish in the fish tank would die! Who wants to drink that kinda stuff:th Sure if you grew up drinking city water I suppose you get used to it, but still--some cities have water that tastes and smells like they pumped it out of the YMCA's swimming pool.. lol
Back in the family house now and we have the best drinking well water ever! But the stuff is hard like a rock--just glad it doesn't leave bruises when I shower!;)
Yes, that will get rid of the chlorine smell as well. But our water is also hard, another reason that I got the filter; it keeps the water kettle from clogging up with mineral deposits. Besides, who has room in the 'fridge for a large pitcher of water? I certainly don't, I'm lucky to find room for the milk :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have our fridge water in a two liter Skyy vodka bottle. It is fun to pour a big glass in front of unsuspecting guests. :D

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I have our fridge water in a two liter Skyy vodka bottle. It is fun to pour a big glass in front of unsuspecting guests. :D
:lol: Excellent!

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I accidentally canned some water while sterilizing my jars and lids... somehow a jar and a lid got friendly, and were REALLY stuck when i pulled them out. after a few weeks of this water sitting on my counter, I pried the lid off and had a drink, just to see if canning water was a good idea. It tasted funny.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon food grade drum that I fill with water and pinch of bleach, just for emergencies. I change the water every spring.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chickensducks&agoose said:
I accidentally canned some water while sterilizing my jars and lids... somehow a jar and a lid got friendly, and were REALLY stuck when i pulled them out. after a few weeks of this water sitting on my counter, I pried the lid off and had a drink, just to see if canning water was a good idea. It tasted funny.
Maybe because the water had been boiled, so it was flat...? :/

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Any ideas on what to do with water that has a lot of iron in it? We have a filter on the water line and the county guys say it's not the well, it's the water supply that's bad. We change the filters at least every 2 weeks when they should be lasting for 6 months. Any ideas?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
watsonlane said:
Any ideas on what to do with water that has a lot of iron in it? We have a filter on the water line and the county guys say it's not the well, it's the water supply that's bad. We change the filters at least every 2 weeks when they should be lasting for 6 months. Any ideas?
For drinking water, a Britta filter works great for us. Our water is pretty good, but its heavy enough that I like to filter it.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
chickensducks&agoose said:
Maybe because the water had been boiled, so it was flat...? :/
Just open the jar, close it back up and shake it good!