Canning Budget

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My National pressure canning booklet has given us the following information for a canning budget for a family of five...
As an example, presume that you figure that you use about 1/2c tomatoes per serving, and there are four in your family. If you usually serve tomatoes at, say, three meals a week- then your family consumption will total 2cups or 1pint per meal, amounting to 3pints or 1 1/2 quarts a week. Figuring that you would be serving home canned tomatoes 34 weeks out of the year, then you would need approx 51 quarts to take care of your requirements. Add an additional 14 quarts for other cooking purposes and you can put down 65 quarts of tomatoes in your canning budget. Follow the same method in deciding other canning needs.
There is no way my garden would support us. That is a goal I will have to work towards. We would probably be ok when it came to the meat dept but def not fruits and vegies. I just thought some of you may be interested in this info. I do not think the canning budget is outdated, if it is then we would probably need to can more rather than less. :|

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Now that is interesting...I think I should have put up more food! lol...its just me and the DH, so I might be ok....*runs off to count her jars