Canning chicken and dumplings ?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am more than glad to share. 2 cups ww flour. 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 egg, 3 tablespoons veggie oil or lard. I prefer lard since its assured to be GMO free. Mix well, add HOT water until its just its almost perfect dough. I typically never need more than 1/2 cup. wrap in a plastic bag and let it stand for at least 1/2 hour, but an hour is better. The big trick to using ww is it takes longer to take up the water, letting it stand and using hot water allows for this. Roll it out on a floured board , cut and cook:) They take a bit longer to cook than white flour dumplings as well but its been so long since I have made them with white flour, I cant tell you how much longer.

sslawlor

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you! I will put this away for that rainy and cold day when we can appreciate a chix and dumplin meal. Sue

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am shocked to report.. Success ! I did tweak the recipe a bit. I used dry milk powder instead of milk and added an extra egg. They were lovely, just lovely. I hot packed the jars. Having only put the dumplings in seconds before. Then 90 minutes at 12lbs of pressure. I likely could have gotten away with 10lbs.. but with raw egg, I just didnt want to chance it. Now I am wishing I had made more than just 2 quarts!