1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Canning Dog Food From Offal

Discussion in 'Dogs, Cats and Other Pets' started by baymule, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Oct 21, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Bay, have I ever told you how much I enjoy your posts, both here and on TEG? Always interesting, lots of wisdom and just fun to read. :hugs

baymule likes this.
  2. Oct 21, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

Ever wondered what happened to the male chicks that had the misfortune to hatch on a commercial farm, where the desired produce is future laying hens? ;)

3. Oct 22, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Thank you Bee! I always enjoy your posts too.

DOG FOOD!!!!! :lol:

Beekissed likes this.
  4. May 16, 2019
    baymule

I am back to canning for the dogs. I have saved up packages of pork liver, beef heart, I found some chicken livers and gizzards from a year ago, a rabbit from 3 years ago and some pork that I deemed too old, especially when we have a LOT of pork in the freezer.

Last Friday I canned 7 quarts, Saturday I canned 4 quarts, today I have done 7 quarts plus 5 quarts are processing now. I mix it all good with cooked rice, plus the rich broth the meat is cooked in. So that will make 23 quarts of dog food. My husband splits a quart between 3 dogs, mixed with their kibble.

We have 40 Cornish cross, so when we butcher them and part them out, there will be necks and backs to process for the dogs too.

I need to make another round through the freezers, and make sure there is nothing "old" in there. LOL The offal had kinda stacked up on me, getting all caught up now.

Beekissed likes this.
  5. May 16, 2019
    baymule

All the prep work and cooking takes time, DH cubes up the meat because I'm not partial to his OCD and I do it wrong. LOL LOL I am busy with all that, but sitting at the bar where I can keep an eye on the pressure canner for 90 minutes, drives my nuts. I NEED to be outside doing stuff! But I needed to do this too. One hour and 6 minutes left on the timer. Sigh.....

6. May 16, 2019
    wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Almost Self-Reliant

I need to clean out my freezer - so this would be a great way to take care of the "old" stuff in there. It sounds like you cook the meat before canning it?

7. May 17, 2019
    baymule

Yes I cook it first, then my husband cuts it in small pieces. Meat shrinks when it gets heated, so I get a better pack. If I can in the summer, I throw in squash, green beans or whatever I have a lot of. The dogs love it.

Anybody who raises their own meat should keep the offal. If they don't like it, then cook it for the dogs and can it. It's YOUR meat! Why not honor the animal that is feeding you by using all of the meat that you can?