Canning Dog Food From Offal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My dog aren't crazy about liver either...at least not beef livers. They will however eat chicken liver. Silly dogs.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Would you believe the stinkers didn’t like it? They like chicken! They ate it anyway. LOL I have more of it in the freezer, cubed up. I need to try canning some mixed with chicken.

My dogs love liver raw but they didn't like it as well when canned up. I think the iron flavor of it comes out more strongly when cooked. From what I observed, a little of the canned/cooked liver went a long way with the dogs.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Would you believe the stinkers didn’t like it? They like chicken! They ate it anyway. LOL I have more of it in the freezer, cubed up. I need to try canning some mixed with chicken.

lol, just got used to one kind of food and didn't like the change, if they're hungry enough they'll eat it.

you can take a tub next time and ask about whatever he might have you could bury in the garden for extra plant food. there's really nothing better for the heavy feeding crops but you do have to bury it all deep enough that the dogs/etc won't get at it and also not disturb it until it is digested.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thawed out 2 bags of chicken leg quarters, a quart bag of chicken livers and hearts from butchering Cornish Cross, and 4 quart bags of chopped beef liver. I cooked the chicken and picked the meat off the bones. I canned 19 quarts of the meat with a cup of rice in each quart. I canned 2 quarts of broth, making 21 quarts. I put a gallon of broth in the refrigerator. I got started at 7 AM and turned off the canner at 7:40 PM. I'm out of quart jars. Do i go buy more? Probably couldn't find any.........

A funny..... Our customer that buys a pig for the freezer every year bought another freezer. He ordered it weeks and weeks ago. When he went to pick it up, the guy loading it asked how did he get a freezer. (because freezers are hard to come by and are back ordered) Our friend explained that he had ordered it quite a while back. The guy at the store said, "Freezers are the new toilet paper." :lol:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Talking to one of the salespeople in Lowe's while looking at bath tubs and such for the house I am buying. Looked at a gas kitchen stove too.... and just asked about the situation with freezers. She laughed and said that early August is the soonest there might be some delivered. Then went on to explain it was a double edged deal. Back in early Jan most companies had produced enough to be available until mid summer according to average previous years sales. Then the plants were shutting down for a retrofit as they are changing the freezing systems (?) . Then they were going to start making the newer ones.
Well the virus hit, plants were shut down already and then did not open back up even after the retrofits were done, which took longer due to problems with getting parts/supplies. So, then people were panicking over not being able to get food, started buying up all the freezers at record speed, so the ones that were supposed to last until mid summer at least, were already gone.... And they are not getting the newer ones made due to reduced production in the plants....
So WAH LAH...... no freezers and none to be found anytime soon. Ridiculous.
Qt jars have been somewhat available so far here. I must have over 1,000 counting all that I have inherited. Guess I will be doing alot more canning in the future.... especially since it will keep if there are power shortages.
Looking at the insanity of looting and such and now this "new country" called CHAZ in the middle of Seattle.... who knows what the future might bring. I am a little concerned that although I like the price and possibility of owning the house, it does sit right on a fairly busy road..... and not but a few miles away from the I-81 corridor.... and in the now crazy blue state of Virginia.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IN Wyoming, we lived close to I-80 - you could see our house from the interstate. In fact, my old dog used to stand at the fence and bark at the tiny little SEMI_TRUCKS as they drove down the highway - silly lab.
I was always a bit worried about the security of that location until I realized that 5 of my neighbors were military - 2 active military and 3 retired. All but one neighbor hunted and 3 neighbors belonged to shooting clubs. There really wasn't any cover around our place, anyone breaking in would be clearly visible to at least 3 neighbor houses. We all looked out for each other also.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday was clean out the freezer day and can for the dogs. I laid it out the night before, in the sink. Last 10# bag of chicken leg quarters, several bags of assorted chicken bones and parts from the last CCX slaughter and the last 3 quart bags of beef liver. I started at 5 AM and finished at 6:30 PM. I got 20 quarts of meat with a half cup of rice in each jar and one jar of broth. I put two half gallon jars of dog broth in the refrigerator, they will be used first. I have a lot more room in the freezer now. I found a bag of pork bones and gave them to the dogs, they enjoyed freezer clean out day!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday was clean out the freezer day and can for the dogs. I laid it out the night before, in the sink. Last 10# bag of chicken leg quarters, several bags of assorted chicken bones and parts from the last CCX slaughter and the last 3 quart bags of beef liver. I started at 5 AM and finished at 6:30 PM. I got 20 quarts of meat with a half cup of rice in each jar and one jar of broth. I put two half gallon jars of dog broth in the refrigerator, they will be used first. I have a lot more room in the freezer now. I found a bag of pork bones and gave them to the dogs, they enjoyed freezer clean out day!

one of the good ways to start hot and sour soup is with pork bones simmering along... :)

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The problem I had with the Mirro (with weights) was: it would never rock, or spin, or do the rhythmic steam release. It would either release a constant stream of steam. Or it would do nothing. There was absolutely no middle ground with that thing.

I never could cook with electric. With my current set up, i start the canner on the large front burner to get up to pressure. Then, I have to move the canner to the back burner, b/c the front burner can't be turned low enough. Now, we all know how heavy a full canner can be, and I suspect that it's not best practice to be lifting a full canner that's rocking along at 10# of pressure! But... that's what I must do.
I have 2 Mirro canners, and havent had a single problem with them rocking or releasing steam. Recently bought a 22qrt one that you can double stack and its working great.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My weight on my pressure canner doesn't rock like my mom's did. But I can get it to the point where it will steam for a little bit, then hiss for a little bit, then steam for a little bit, then hiss for a little bit. That is as close to rocking it will get, and it has been good for 6 years - never had a fail yet. Knock on wood. I wonder if it has some mineral build-up in the stem and that is causing problems. It was given to me by a neighbor, so it what it is. The bottom is not flat, and the emergency pressure release button always looks like it is ready to pop out, until I get the steam built up, then it looks ok.:\:idunno

Latest posts