Canning Dog Food From Offal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know about a thyroid in chicken necks but there is this little pouch I've always called the craw, that needs to be removed. it's at the base of neck right above then breast. Its much more pronounced in turkeys than in chickens, but both have it. To me its like a little flexible membrane pouch where they store food. There's always some food that they were eating in the little pouch. If not removed, it will make for a nasty tasting bird.

Edit... Well I was totally wrong on the name. It's officially called the crop. Strange how a guy (me) names things and calls them by the wrong name for years. I learn something new everytime i come here.

See pic
View attachment 12335
When we butcher chickens I withhold Feed the night before so the crop is empty, and the intestines! I always remove the crop.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I still have to fuss with my canner. Front burner is great at getting it up to pressure. Then, I have to slide the canner to the smaller back burner. I love cooking with gas, but wonder if the flame is more variable than electric heat?

I find it to be just the opposite. To me, electric is VERY hard to cook on and I invariably get things too hot or not hot enough but can never seem to find the sweet spot on an electric range. With gas I never have a problem...guess because I can actually SEE the flame and how much flame it takes to make something the right temp.

With my gas stove, I just turn it on high and never have to adjust the flame at all to get the right rhythm on the pressure gauge for canning. I love that!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I sit and stare at the canner like it’s going to blow up. It’s not, it stays right on a bit over 10 pounds, but I still won’t leave it alone. So here I sit for an hour and a half, thinking about all the other things I could be doing besides watching a dial that don’t move.

My Mom used to have a canner with the gauge and found the same thing...couldn't get a thing done from watching that gauge, especially since she was canning on a wood cook stove. She ditched that one for one with just the wts and never had a problem since....we can wait until it gets up to rocking or spinning rhythmically and then set the timer and walk away.

Love that!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine has the weight on it, but I still sit and watch it. OCD I guess.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Lazy Gardener That is what I must do also! If I try to start it on the smaller back burner, it takes forever to get going, but the big burner doesn't go low enough. My stove has 1 big burner, 2 medium burners, 1 small burner and a center dual burner for the grill. I think I may try the center burner next time, because I can start with both burners on and then turn the front 1/2 off.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I’d cook it first. I have some frozen in the freezer. I think I’ll plsy with it and see what happens. Thanks for the idea!

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do think it says in the instruction manual to ck that stem and clean it once in a while. I never have mine and have had it for years with no problems. Even my Mom has been borrowing it for alot of stuff since hers havent been working too well recently. Do you wash and oil the gasket before you put it away? I always use warm soapy water, dry with a towel, then put some vegetable oil on a paper towel and lightly coat the gasket. Keeps it from cracking and pliable.