Canning Green Beans...Is my water level too low??

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So Im a VERY new to canning and canned my first harvest of green beans a few days ago. I am a little worried that I lost too much water out of the jars. I overly released air bubbles because I was afraid of this, but after the canning was complete I had lost some of the water from teh jars into the pressure canner. Is this normal? How do I get my jars to keep the water in and maintain the right level of water?
ANY hints tips or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated because I have ALOT of canning ahead of me (my garden is going crazy) and I would hate to do all the work and ruin a bunch of work :(
Im very excitted about having a pantry full of stuff I grew in my own backyard and canned in my own kitchen, but I am just so new to all this and extremely nieve!
Here is a picture of my first set of jars I canned. The jars in the back are the ones that I am concered lost too much water...all of them have a great tight seal though :)
1249_beans7.jpg

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Water loss is normal. If you filled the jars to the correct level prior to canning your beans are fine.

And it looks like you did a great job on those green beans. Just make sure all the lids are sealed. If not put any unsealed jars in the fridge and use them first or you can freeze them.

Edited to add: Just and FYI - you probably already know this but....just in case. When you open jars to use them, make sure the lids are still tightly sealed.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
2dream said:
Water loss is normal. If you filled the jars to the correct level prior to canning your beans are fine.

And it looks like you did a great job on those green beans. Just make sure all the lids are sealed. If not put any unsealed jars in the fridge and use them first or you can freeze them.

Edited to add: Just and FYI - you probably already know this but....just in case. When you open jars to use them, make sure the lids are still tightly sealed.
Wonderful !!! Thank you so much!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did you have consistent temperature during the canning process? Sometimes that can happen if the temperature fluctuates too much.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
Did you have consistent temperature during the canning process? Sometimes that can happen if the temperature fluctuates too much.
That very well could have been it! It was over 10 the whole time, but the temp did fluctuate until I could get my dial set to exactly where I wanted it (not too higj but npt too low).
Thank you I will definitely keep a better eye on the temp consistency!