Canning jars

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm curious, what does everyone pay for their jars? Do you get them at flea markets, yardsales, buy them brand new or what? I can't seem to find any locally for free, and they're all about $8 for a dozen to buy new or used. :/ I really have huge plans for this year, plus there's still venison that needs to be canned, so I see a need for a LOT of jars, but they're just so expensive.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I watched the end of summer clearance items for jars and lids. Moved my grandmother into a new home & cleaned out all her older canned goods. I've had jars given to me by friends. I've picked up a few at yardsales. I also save any jars I get from the farmer's market, as they are standard canning jars.

Jars normally run 7-9 regular price, I got 3 flats of quart widemouth jars for $3 each at the end of the summer.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The best price for new I've seen is at Walmart, but that was in UT where canning is more widely popular.

I inherited a ton from dh's gma, but have also just randomly met people who gave me jars for free.

Do you have a little old lady resource? :lol: Church, bingo, knitting groups, meals on wheels, Dr. offices...start making friends with little old ladies and you're sure to find some canning jars!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm on the same quest as you-must have more jars & lids!

Around here new jars start @ around $8 dz & go up from there, depending on size and store. I have yet to find any canning equipment of any kind @ Walmart. My last trip I asked about it and they said it was a seasonal item & won't be in until later Spring/Summer. The flat lids usually start about $2.50 or more for regular size & $3 or more for wide mouth. I did find these for $1.99 reg & $2.49 w/m @ Fred Meyer-I bought 10 each, but no jars or other equipment. That may sound like alot, but I don't think that would be enough for one season of serious canning which is also my plan for this coming season.

I've been checking local CL but most people are looking for cheap jars and those that are selling want almost as much as the stores. I picked up a bunch at Goodwill during a 50% off everything sale and thought that was a great score since their jars can run from .29 to .69 each-and that adds up quick to more than new prices. I'm gonna keep checking around and will be hitting garage/yard/estate sales as that season picks up.

My suggestion is to do as above and in other posts-keep looking since it seems to be a continual process. The best thing is that once you have enough jars (plus plenty of extras) you're set and won't have to keep buying/obtaining them. It's those darn flats that need constant replacing and I can't stress enough the fact that you can never have enough of the lids.
Another good choice for jars is to buy Classico pasta sauce & some fruit is also sold in glass canning jars. But make it quick since most companies seem to keep changing over to plastic.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wondered about glass jars from grocery stores, but everyone told me that it was a no-go, since they'd most likely break. We have one pressure canner and I worry about exploding jars in the middle of canning.

SKR8PN, thank you! Are they the same as regular ones? I see some rings, but the ones that are rings/lids, are they one solid piece or two piece? Guess I should probably ask the seller, huh?

Edited because I was being a dunce.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Here on the West Coast, we have a bargain grocery called WinCo (stands for Washington, Idaho, Nevada, california and Oregon, and now they are adding Nevada and Utah). Right now, the standard lids are $1.79 and the wide mouth are $2.25 a dozen. Last summer, they were on sale for three months at $1.29 and $1.59. I expect them to go up this year.

Prices varied, but IIRC the pint regular mouth were just at $5 a dozen and they went up incrementally until the wide mouth quarts were in the $8 range. I bought a lot of wide mouth pints at $5.79 per dozen.

I got 185 pints and quarts at a thrift store for 25 cents each.

A friend gave me more than 300 quarts, half were mayo jars which I use for BWB (lemonade and OJ recently), but not pressure canning. Classico brand spaghetti sauce jars are slightly less than a quart, and can withstand pressure canning. The standard lids fit perfectly.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always ask at yard sales, even if I don't see any. Especially if it is an elderly lady having the yard sale. Several times I've gotten a call back when they remembered a box in the closet or garage. A lot of the time they just give them to me just to get them out of their way. I try to not pay more than 30cents per jar if they are used. I figure if I'm going to pay more than that, I'd rather buy the new ones at the grocery store for $8/doz.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think the trick is to ALWAYS be on the look out. I check my local CL at least once a week for jars. When I go to the Goodwill I always look for jars. Once in a while you might get lucky and find some. Once on CL I bout 96 jars for 20 bucks. Let your friends know you are collecting jars. Once the word gets out the jars will find you. :D

For the bands and lids look at the end of season for clearance items. Last year I bought cases of flats and rings for 1/5 the actual cost. Wal Mart was just unloading everything they had. this might not help for this season but if you do find some you will be set for a while.

Good luck!

Gina

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you live near an Amish community check out the Amish owned general store. I buy lids in bulk at very good prices at my local Amish owned grocery store. If you don't see them, ask, it may be a seasonal item.