Canning jars

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I second buying the rings and lids on ebay!

Last summer I found 100 dozen canning jars on CL. They were assorted sizes, but mostly qt and pint. It was a very nice couple who were moving into a retirment home. Their daughter posted the ad for them. The jars are fantasic, some are even the old Ball blue ones, (they remind me of my Grandmother). Any jar that was cracked or looked 'to used to can with' I packaged up christmas gifts in. (dry bean soups, smores in a jar).

Who could pass up a deal like that!!

:thumbsup

chickencrazymamahen

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Another good place to find jars is at auctions!! I picked up a pickuptruck load...all we could get in it and still left some behind for a $1.50...they had old food in them,(guess thats why no one wanted them... but we emptied them out and it helped my jar "stash" tremendously. I also buy regular lids at Dollar General.......good luck!

Stinky Puddle Ranch

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hiya!

I'm new to the whole "canning" thing.....
Well my Grandmother canned (in Jars) and I ate but this will be my first attempt to 'can' on my own.

My question is: Where can I find good jars? I have looked at all the sites posted above regarding lids, rings/bands however, I'm not to sure on what kind or where to buy quality jars. I adore ebay however, I would think that shipping such heavy items would be costly.
Hmmm... :idunno

I have searched @ Swap Meets, Garage Sales, Thrift Stores as well as Auctions... with no luck. I have seen some in a couple of stores but not to sure on what brand maybe more reputable than another. Any suggestions?

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I have never canned and am picking up a Presto Pressure Cooker/Canner and cannot wait to get started. :ya

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I pick up all my jars from the Goodwill almost exclusively now. I know where they put them and always check there. They sell them for about 25 cents each! Can't beat that. I just check each time I'm in, and go in frequently. I've got enough now that I can be picky and only buy the wide-mouth jars. They seem to almost always have something here. My neighbor also seems to get bunches of them from people, and she shares. :ya I love her. If I have to I will go to the next town's small hardware store and pick up an extra box. They have the best prices outside of Wal-mart, and I won't shop there. Just put the word out, you'd be surprised how many show up.

ETA: :welcome I hope you learn as much as I have here. Well, I'm still learning bunches really, and having a bang-up good time doing it!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Stinky Puddle Ranch said:
My question is: Where can I find good jars?
Honestly, IMO they are all pretty much the same (the jars and rings anyhow), as long as you avoid antique-y type ones that don't take modern style lids and recycled mayonnaise (etc) jars.

In terms of the lids themselves, the only thing to choose from really is the cheaper ones that do not have the white epoxy coating (more acid-resistant) or the slightly less cheap ones that do. AFAIK they all have BPA in the liner, although if you handle your canning stuff like any normal person the food never CONTACTS the liner except when it's actually being processed, so personally I don't worry about that.

If you put up notes on bulletin boards, and mention to everyone you meet that you're looking for unwanted canning jars, you should turn up something. Even if you have to buy them full retail (local stores will have them in a few months), they're not THAT expensive and the jars last virtually forever, the rings nearly as long.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have been given jars by friends, found them on FreeCycle, Craig's List, at yard sales, at Big Lots, at our local budget grocer, and have scoured thrift stores in my area. I know that WalMart carries them as well. It would be nice to find them omnline (even at a retailer) who has free shipping.

In the past year since I started canning (almost to the day), I have found at least 1500 standard jars (the kind that can be pressure canned) and another 400 or so mayo jars. In fact, I have about 75 of them in the trunk of my car right now that I got on FreeCycle. They are mayo jars, which I use to can fruit sauces, lemonade, limeade, orane juice, etc.

You may have to make finding jars a full time adventure for a wihle, but it's VERY do-able.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
One other thing the The Wife and I do, is to pick up a pack or two of the flats every time we go to the store. EVERY time. You would amazed at how quickly your supply builds up!

376295959.jpg

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I think the trick is to ALWAYS be on the look out.

I have quite a collection of jars from people who toyed with canning, then gave it up. "Window Shop" all of the aisles at the stores that you already buy things from, so you know their inventories. IF canning is not something they specialize in, and they don't sell, the cans will be one of the first things that they put on clearance. THIS IS GOOD ADVICE FOR ANYTHING YOU'RE GOING TO BUY!! You can find the same item for a variety of different prices in many stores all over town.

Make lists and watch for the sales. KEEP to your lists and don't finish your shopping at one place just because you don't want to make one more trip. If you've noticed, a store like WalMart gives you no deals on certain items. I noticed that thought they're recently dropped prices on some items, they've increased them on, for instance, laundry detergent, because they bank on you buying that while you are there, instead of looking for the better price somewhere else!

For the bands and lids look at the end of season for clearance items. Last year I bought cases of flats and rings for 1/5 the actual cost.
Some farm supply stores carry jars and their lids all year round. For other stores, these are "seasonal" items.

Wash, dry and replace lids and bands, then store your jars ready to fill.
Keep a couple of boxes of lids right next to your jar storage, so your canning won't be interrupted by a trip to the store.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found some jars on Craigslist yesterday. I have a pick up scheduled for 8 am tomorrow morning. It's a Friday garage sale and he has some cast iron pans as well. Whoo hoo!!! The gentleman said he will set all of the items aside for me. I think there should be around 6 dozen jars. We will see.

gina

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
I pick up all my jars from the Goodwill almost exclusively now. I know where they put them and always check there. They sell them for about 25 cents each! Can't beat that.
That is fantastic! Our Goodwill prices them for between $1 and $2 each! I picked up some at our local recycling place. They have an area where you can leave stuff for others, and the recyclers also pull materials they think others might want.