Canning Potatos Questions

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I am getting ready to can my potatos and know (or think I know) there is something on this already here but can't find it.

Balls Book says wash and peel. I have hundreds of little tiny potatos, what happens if I leave the skin on? Anything horrible?

I love the skin on my potatos plus these are just small potatos that are to small to fool with other wise.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know a dang thing about canning potatos but what came to mind is that the skin can hold a lot of bacteria. But wouldn't the canning process kill it all? I've never seen a canned potato with the skin on.

here, this site has a picture of canned potatoes with the skins on and they say a pressure cooker MUST be used:
http://thebakehouse.blogspot.com/2007/02/using-harvest-part-2.html

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am not sure about the peels but I know that the potatoes I canned ended up tasting salty. :sick

I am going to try and change that next time.

g

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I never peeled mine, just followed the Blue Book for the rest. Quartered them, added a bit of salt to the water, and canned them. Still eating on them after 2 years and they're great!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, the last 7 quarts are in the canner now. They look wonderful with the skin on.
Scrubbing taters sure is hard work.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Im about to harvest a lot of potatoes and am trying to get ready...Ive never grown or canned potatoes before so Im pretty nervous and excitted!

I heard that when you harvest your potatoes you need to let them sit in the sun for a few days to let the skin "set up and get firm"...what if I just took them straight from the ground and scrubbed them, would the skin come right off from being soft?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
ABHanna, yes the skins come off really easy with brand new potatos. I like to let mine sit at least a full day so all the skin does not come off. I like the skin on mine because that is where most of your nutrients are.

Do you have a canning book? If so just follow the directions. My canned potatos look wonderful. I have not tried them yet but know they will be good. I also packed about 70 lbs in pop up mesh laundry hampers. I used some available aspen wood shavings that someone had given me to keep the potatos from touching.

I do not have a basement or a root cellar so my options were limited. So far the potatos are still looking good and I have not found a rotten one yet. But they are still pretty new.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
2dream said:
ABHanna, yes the skins come off really easy with brand new potatos. I like to let mine sit at least a full day so all the skin does not come off. I like the skin on mine because that is where most of your nutrients are.

Do you have a canning book? If so just follow the directions. My canned potatos look wonderful. I have not tried them yet but know they will be good. I also packed about 70 lbs in pop up mesh laundry hampers. I used some available aspen wood shavings that someone had given me to keep the potatos from touching.

I do not have a basement or a root cellar so my options were limited. So far the potatos are still looking good and I have not found a rotten one yet. But they are still pretty new.
I would love to keep the skins on, but havr heard it is more dangerous because of bacteria when canning... I don't havr a basement either and really don't even think I have room for an extra laundry basket...but that sure sounds like a fantastic Idea!!!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Do you use a pressure canner? If so when you can the potatos with the skin on, you cut them into quarters unless they are really small. I am not sure about a water bath canner.

Pressure canned at the proper temp and time will kill the bacteria.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:

If you want to 'cure' with the skin on, set in a warm dry Place BUT NOT IN THE SUN! the sun can cause them to turn green under the skin, this green material is moderately TOXIC, not something you would want to eat either canned or cellar stored.