Canning spaghetti sauce...help needed

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH was given two 1/2 bushel boxes of tomatoes today. My pantry is still full of whole canned tomatoes left from last year so I wanted to make spaghetti sauce with this batch. Most of the recipes I come across are very similar in ingredients, but the quart processing time varies greatly. Anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes for a water bath canner, with the majority being about 20-25 minutes. With as many batches as two boxes is going to take I love for it to be on the lower end of time, but it concerns me some. Any suggestions?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I usually cook my spaghetti sauce down to thicken it by using my crock pot and a screen top lid, like they use as a spatter guard when frying.

If you want to use a Boiling Water Bath technique be sure there is NO meat or meat juice in the sauce. I also always add a teaspoon of salt and a big splash of lemon juice to each jar when I am canning to help with the preservation.

Fill sterilized (by recent boiling) jars with hot sauce and add to the pre heated water bath canner. Make sure the water level is at least 1 inch over the jar top. Start timing AFTER the water is back to a full rolling boil and then I usually time 25 minutes at least for the quart size jars.

Canning right takes a little time on the front end, but saves money and the final product can keep for a long time if preserved correctly.

After the jars are totally cool. (Usually the next day.) Remove the outer ring from the jar. (This can hold moisture and actually cause the lid, which seals the product, to rust) Scrub the jars clean and then dry well and label.

I have been canning for many years successfully.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I usually cook my spaghetti sauce down to thicken it by using my crock pot and a screen top lid, like they use as a spatter guard when frying.

If you want to use a Boiling Water Bath technique be sure there is NO meat or meat juice in the sauce. I also always add a teaspoon of salt and a big splash of lemon juice to each jar when I am canning to help with the preservation.

Fill sterilized (by recent boiling) jars with hot sauce and add to the pre heated water bath canner. Make sure the water level is at least 1 inch over the jar top. Start timing AFTER the water is back to a full rolling boil and then I usually time 25 minutes at least for the quart size jars.

Canning right takes a little time on the front end, but saves money and the final product can keep for a long time if preserved correctly.

After the jars are totally cool. (Usually the next day.) Remove the outer ring from the jar. (This can hold moisture and actually cause the lid, which seals the product, to rust) Scrub the jars clean and then dry well and label.

I have been canning for many years successfully.
Would you mind sharing your recipe? I too have found a TON of different recipes and times and would love to know exact recipes that work for other people!

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, please share! :D I ended up using two different recipes, one with sweet peppers and one without. Both were too sweet for my taste. My mom always used the packets and it tasted fine, but I'd rather use my own ingredients.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It is really NOT much of a recipe :p but I will give it a go!

I start with homegrown yummy tomatoes. Sometimes they are fresh and sometimes I have dropped them into the freezer during a busier moment for use later. Either way I peel the tomatoes and cut them into chunks. If they are REALLY seedy I might remove a few of the seeds, but usually I am just plain old lazy. :lol:

By the way if you did not know this freezing a tomato is the very best way to peel it - all you do is run it under a bit of warm water while still frozen and rub and the skins come right off! I DO think it changes the texture slightly however, so I do not freeze them when I am canning whole tomatoes, but for sauces it makes no difference.

MaZone Marinara Sauce

Peeled tomatoes chopped unto chunks
diced onion - plenty
finely diced garlic - lots
black pepper - lots
oregano - enough
basil - some
rosemary - a little bit
Lemon juice - a teaspoon per finished qt
salt - to taste, but a little more than you would think

---

In a BIG crockpot load up the tomatoes, garlic and onion. Turn on "Low" or "Hold Warm" setting with a screen top lid (like a splatter lid for frying).
Go to BED.

In the morning stir and check for thickness. Add the spices except for salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Let it cook until it smells yummy. Add pepper and salt. To taste. Add a bit of lemon juice. When it is just right you will gleek if you taste it and slurp it around in your mouth.

Once the sauce is a good consistency, pour it into your boiling hot sterilized jars leaving about a half inch of head space. Process in Hot Water Bath canner for 25 minutes after the canner reaches a rolling boil.

When using the sauce I add the extras; meat, mushrooms, zucchini chunks etc. By NOT adding them during the canning process it makes the Red Sauce much more versatile. I can some in pints for use on pizza. Some is used in lasagna, some in spaghetti or minestrone soup or even Swiss steak or smothered steaks.

There it is ... I told you it was not much of a recipe! :cool:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FF I love the sound of that recipe. Can't wait to try it.

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Even though in Wyoming, it is far too early to think about canning, my tomato plants are doing awesome so I hope to can this year. Thanks for the wonderful pointers.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
It is really NOT much of a recipe :p but I will give it a go!

I start with homegrown yummy tomatoes. Sometimes they are fresh and sometimes I have dropped them into the freezer during a busier moment for use later. Either way I peel the tomatoes and cut them into chunks. If they are REALLY seedy I might remove a few of the seeds, but usually I am just plain old lazy. :lol:

By the way if you did not know this freezing a tomato is the very best way to peel it - all you do is run it under a bit of warm water while still frozen and rub and the skins come right off! I DO think it changes the texture slightly however, so I do not freeze them when I am canning whole tomatoes, but for sauces it makes no difference.

MaZone Marinara Sauce

Peeled tomatoes chopped unto chunks
diced onion - plenty
finely diced garlic - lots
black pepper - lots
oregano - enough
basil - some
rosemary - a little bit
Lemon juice - a teaspoon per finished qt
salt - to taste, but a little more than you would think

---

In a BIG crockpot load up the tomatoes, garlic and onion. Turn on "Low" or "Hold Warm" setting with a screen top lid (like a splatter lid for frying).
Go to BED.

In the morning stir and check for thickness. Add the spices except for salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Let it cook until it smells yummy. Add pepper and salt. To taste. Add a bit of lemon juice. When it is just right you will gleek if you taste it and slurp it around in your mouth.

Once the sauce is a good consistency, pour it into your boiling hot sterilized jars leaving about a half inch of head space. Process in Hot Water Bath canner for 25 minutes after the canner reaches a rolling boil.

When using the sauce I add the extras; meat, mushrooms, zucchini chunks etc. By NOT adding them during the canning process it makes the Red Sauce much more versatile. I can some in pints for use on pizza. Some is used in lasagna, some in spaghetti or minestrone soup or even Swiss steak or smothered steaks.

There it is ... I told you it was not much of a recipe! :cool:
The difference in process time pretty much depends on the age of the recipe. Tomatoes used to be considered a high acid product (takes a shorter process time to kill spores) many of the modern tomatoes have less acid so the canners have increased the process time and strongly suggest the addition of acid such as lemon juice or citric acid to remain safe.~gd

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
~gd said:
The difference in process time pretty much depends on the age of the recipe. Tomatoes used to be considered a high acid product (takes a shorter process time to kill spores) many of the modern tomatoes have less acid so the canners have increased the process time and strongly suggest the addition of acid such as lemon juice or citric acid to remain safe.~gd
THUS the line...

Farmfresh said:
Lemon juice - a teaspoon per finished qt :cool: