canning supplies

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also remove my rings, and try to keep them in very good shape. have PILES of them. Highway robbery, what the name brand lids are going for. But... here, in my kitchen, for myself, I do not hesitate to re-use them. When storing a jar in the fridge, I try to always put a plastic lid on it, so that I can keep the lid in good shape. When I remove the lid, I place a bread tab, or something similar between the can opener and the lid, so the lid doesn't get dented. And, where the can opener lifts the lid, it's a simple matter to roll the edge of the lid on the edge of the sink to restore it to perfect shape.

We also have plastic lids for refrigerator short term storage. But you go a step further and reuse the lids also. I guess there's not an issue as long as they are clean and sterlize and seal again.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Luckily, my order is just back logged. I have plenty for this season, but I always try to keep a year's worth on hand.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just so you know: All written canning information speaks vehemently against re-using lids. For me to even suggest such a thing in canning circles would be as offensive as it is for me to publicly disagree with the PC Covid propaganda machine. I will re-use lids if they look just like new, inside and out. A sealed lid is a sealed lid, yes???? I will also re-use some jars from the grocer if they are a convenient size and if they have a good lid. After all, a sealed lid is a sealed lid, yes? I'll not pressure can with the latter.

if they are clean and in good condition i will reuse them for my own stuff but not for things we'll give to other people. i also will reuse lids for freezing some things so i don't have to use a fresh lid instead.

i've also reused store bought jam jars and lids several times before the lid gets gunky or unable to hold a seal or ...

for high acid stuff (all we do here) i don't worry about issues with seals or processing. we've done so many thousands of quarts that we know what we're doing. our failure rate is very tiny.

what i also do is buy bulk lids to use in the freezer as they are cheaper and will work for that purpose ok. i have had a batch of bad bulk lids before where they would not process correctly, but i just switched to a different batch and things went ok. took them back to the store and exchanged them for new replacements - no questions asked.

we put a few boxes of lids on the shopping list just to get a few more on hand so if things get tough later we won't be caught so short.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we've used some of the walmart ones. had a couple break in the pressure canner. never again

I knew ball and Kerr were the same company, but i didn't know about golden harvest.

we don't pressure can. have had very few problems with jars as long as they are in good condition to begin with. i always check for decent seams, no chips or cracks before using. most of what we have are name brand jars and many are very old and pretty thick and heavy.

the WM jars work ok for us.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, I know about the old glass not being perfectly even. The fact is though, that when you install the glass into a window frame, you caulk it so it's airtight. Over the years, those upper sections of glass become thinner than they were and the caulking is no longer airtight; thus, they rattle. It's not much, but it's measurable. Float glass was invented in the 1850's; it's common to see the thick/thin phenomenon in Victorian era homes. I grew up in a Victorian era home, DH grew up in a 30's era home and both of us are familiar with the rattling windows caused by the caulking no longer fitting the glass panes.
it's no b.s.. glass is a liquid.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most of the thick/thin thing on window glass is because of the blowing process. It was blown out then flattened, then cut to needed sizes. Blowing causes thickness variations as well as the ripples that are sometimes seen.

The method for making plate glass is what changed that. Float glass is usually how it's done now as it's cheaper to do.

My husband says i need to leave off on the history books and documentaries. I find stuff like that interesting. He says I'm the only one he knows who would read a book on the history of salt for entertainment. I just point out that he's got a ton of books on war history, especially ancient Greek and Roman.
I like to read things like that too.... just for the learning.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got rid of so much stuff when we moved here. I still need to go through stuff and get rid of more. I have a couple of bookcases. I would have many more books if I had the room for them.