canning supplies

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I guess I am a big dummy!

Canned food will keep much longer than two years. I have meat, fruit, and vegetables that are just as good as they were when they came out of the canner. If it looks good, smells good then it usually is good. Fruit and pickles usually hold up the worst. But meat and vegetables hold up for a long time. I have a few jars of potatoes from 2009 in my pantry that still look good and taste good!

Of course, NEVER eat anything that has a seal that has been compromised.

you seriously eat decade old canned goods?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I've eaten canned goods over 10 years old. Especially things like applesauce and apple butter, and some other fruits although they get a little soft. And jellies and jams. Made all I could when they were plenty and ate for years if there didn't turn out to be another bumper to where I could can a bunch more. Have some on the shelf now that my mom made over 10 years ago. Have had tomatoes that were not dated..... but if the seal was good, and they smelled and looked okay when I opened them, then they got used. Sometimes things just got shoved back on shelves by accident.
Absolutely. We preserve as much as we can in the bountiful years and eat on it for a long time.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well that makes me feel pretty awesome! I haven't ate food that was over 2 years old but i won't worry so much about it now. I know a few folks who push it out to 5 years but i have always been leary of it.

how long do you guys think canned meat will last (and still taste okay)