canning supplies

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance. I know my question is a very basic one. I am just getting started with home canning; my All American pressure canner arrived the other day. I was looking for canning supplies so I went to Walmart, but they did not sell the jars at that particular store. My next stop was at Ace Hardware. They had (Ball) regular mouth jars but no wide mouth size. While I was looking at their supplies at Ace, a lady came up to us and said the Dollar Store sold canning jars for a much cheaper price so we went to the Dollar Store. They sell the (Golden Harvest) mason jars (regular mouth) at a much cheaper price than the Ball jars at Ace Hardware. My question is: where do you all buy your canning supplies like jars, medal bands, lids, etc? Do you have a specific brand that you like to use? What are your thoughts on the Golden Harvest mason jars as opposed to the Ball brand? Thanks in advance. :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I get my canning jars....wherever I can! LOL
Some from friends or family members....garage sales...auctions...and any store that sells them at a good price. I use a little of everything..and dont seem to find a difference. Altho, I do like the wide mouth MUCH better...just easier to clean....and easier to pack.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I too get my jars anywhere I can. If someone has them at a garage sale I just take whatever they have and use them. If someone has them for free I'll gladly take whatever they want to give me. I'm not picky about my jars. Now if I had my druthers and the money to just buy whatever I wanted I'd get wide mouth jars only and I do tend to have more wide mouth jars because my husband bought me some a few times. I get my lids and flats wherever I can find them cheapest. I've heard there are some places where you can lids in bulk-gotta find some of those places soon.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Anywhere that they are cheapest! They are all made by the same company now, I've heard, so I guess it doesn't really matter what brand with the new jars.

I love working with the widemouth jars, too, but the lids for the regular mouth are cheaper, and that is an ongoing expense, so keep that in mind.

Search this site for other ideas on how to locate used jars on the cheap or even free!

Free is good!

I bought cases online of lids since they are pricey here in suburbia, as well as seasonal, and I love to can year-round, less in the summer, which is opposite of the season. I got them from Fillmore Container. I had to put out a couple hundred dollars, but they are as cheap as I can get anywhere, and I won't have to buy for a couple of years or more. Plus all the gas and time and aggravation of buying them by the box.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I got some of mine at the dollar store, some at walmart and some on line. There is only a penny difference in Walmart and the dollar store. Walmart price. 9.99 Dollar store price 10.00. That is for the quarts. Walmart is actually cheaper here on the pints plus they have lids and the dollar store does not. I have also ordered online jars and lids. The prices are about the same but you have to pay shipping. But then you don't have to use gas and your time running around looking for what you want.
I also have Ball and Golden Harvest and can not tell a difference.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We just do wide mouth jars only, and I also get them wherever and whenever I can find them. The reason we use only wide mouth is two-fold.
1) They are easier to clean and , 2) We only have to buy one size of rings and flats. ;)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Like everyone else, anywhere I can (pun intended :rolleyes:)

Put the word out to friends, family, Church, etc. Believe it or not, not everyone cans. They may have some they want to get rid of.

Don't forget to check Goodwill if you have one in your area.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a store called Smart and Final, they carry canning supplies year round. I have been very lucky and found a ton of pints at a yard sale and a bunch of quarts on craigslist. About a month ago I picked up a ton of seals at Walmart. I know I bought way to many but got them while I could.

Any jar is a good jar!!! I use reg mouth for jams and tomato products. I will be using wide mouth for pickles and veggies this year.

Good luck..

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I understand why so many people prefer the wide mouth jars. However, I am just wondering how difficult it will be canning vegetables in the regular mouth, considering that is all I could find in my local area so far. I know the opening is smaller. I will be canning tomatoes, but I will have some other vegetables to can that might be more difficult to fill the jars. Perhaps I should keep looking for the wide mouth jars.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Hiedi - Last year all I had was regular jars. I do have some wide mouth jars this year but the regular worked just fine last year. I can not imagine you canning anything other than something like a whole chicken or ham that won't fit. LOL