canning supplies

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Don't forget about the funnel! That makes filling the jars easy. I don't can veggies other than in soups and stews, so I can only guess that the only difficulty would be in canning whole veggies, like whole cucumber pickles. We keep a brush with a handle by the kitchen sink for cleaning jars. Since I can catfood in regular mouth pints, there is a jar a day at least to brush out.

I switched to buying mostly regular mouth because I can get more in the canner. 20 reg mouth pints vs 16 wide mouth. If you are canning a lot at 90 minutes, it makes a difference.

It all depends on what you do and what annoys you more!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hiedi said:
I understand why so many people prefer the wide mouth jars. However, I am just wondering how difficult it will be canning vegetables in the regular mouth, considering that is all I could find in my local area so far. I know the opening is smaller. I will be canning tomatoes, but I will have some other vegetables to can that might be more difficult to fill the jars. Perhaps I should keep looking for the wide mouth jars.
I keep thinking I'm going to can "pretty" jars like the dilly beans using whole green beans all standing up straight in the jar...I'm thinking you'd need a wide mouth for that or more patience than I have. Other than that I've never canned anything in a wide mouth that I couldn't just as easily can in a regular mouth. The wide mouth sometimes makes getting whatever you put in there come OUT easier but it's really not that big of a deal.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
freemotion said:
YUP!!!! ;)

I learned how to can back when I was just a snot-nosed kid, helping my mother out in the kitchen. Back then, I thought she was working us kids like slaves!! :lol: But I sure am thankful now, for everything she taught me!
Talking about this stuff, sure does bring back memories.........all of us kids and mom, setting on the front porch, snapping string beans or cleaning elderberries for jam....watching the old man work his tail off running that old front tine tiller thru the garden.......getting everything planted and watered....... setting out beside the garden just watching it grow.................. good times.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
freemotion said:
YUP!!!! ;)

I learned how to can back when I was just a snot-nosed kid, helping my mother out in the kitchen. Back then, I thought she was working us kids like slaves!! :lol: But I sure am thankful now, for everything she taught me!
Talking about this stuff, sure does bring back memories.........all of us kids and mom, setting on the front porch, snapping string beans or cleaning elderberries for jam....watching the old man work his tail off running that old front tine tiller thru the garden.......getting everything planted and watered....... setting out beside the garden just watching it grow.................. good times.
Yeah, none of my friends in town had to work in the garden and the fields like unpaid laborers. Heck, my friends in town got allowances for taking out the garbage if they remembered. I remember thinking my parents must be the meanest, poorest people in the world. But I also remember the first time Gram let me make the jelly right down to pouring the wax on the top of each jar. So when my kids tell me I'm the meanest Mom in the world for making them help in the garden and the kitchen I just smile.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't forget about the funnel! That makes filling the jars easy.
I still need one of those and also a jar lifter.

I have been watching some videos about canning on YouTube, which have actually been helpful. I also ordered a few books from Barnes and Noble. My garden is coming in very well. In fact, I have some tomato plants that are actually taller than me; I am not sure how that happened.

By the way, thanks for all the helpful information from everyone. Unfortunately, there is not that many people who have knowledge about home canning so I truly appreciate the input.

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I noticed that Big Lots had the cases of jars for $7.50 yesterday. I was sorely tempted to buy some.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
agreed I get them were ever I can. I love to find them at the local sal val, flea market and yard sales. That will be the cheapest place to get them. The Dollar stores though is the cheapest place I have found the rings and lids locally. But if you are smart you will only get what you need at full price, and wait until the off season to buy up what you can when it goes on sale and is clearanced out for the year.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
At the Family Dollar store the other day, a 12-case of pint jars was $7.50; and a 12-case of quart jars was $8.50. That was cheaper than what Ace Hardware had. I also bought extra lids too. In fact, I bought a whole case of lids. Hopefully, I did not over-do-it on the lids so I am saving my receipt just in case.

From what I am reading, the water bath canning seems fairly easy for high acid foods so I might try that as well. I am reading out of one of the books I ordered called, Complete Guide to Home Canning and Preserving, published by the US Department of Agriculture.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so I'll bring it up. I bought a couple cases of Am Harvest last year because they were cheaper. When I started using them I found that I couldn't get all 7 to fit in the rack at once no matter how I turned them. When I looked at them side by side I noticed they were bigger around than the Ball. Has anyone else noticed this ; did I just get a freak batch ; or am I the freak that doesn't know what he is doing ? :/