canning supplies

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Hiedi said:
At the Family Dollar store the other day, a 12-case of pint jars was $7.50; and a 12-case of quart jars was $8.50. That was cheaper than what Ace Hardware had. I also bought extra lids too. In fact, I bought a whole case of lids. Hopefully, I did not over-do-it on the lids so I am saving my receipt just in case.

From what I am reading, the water bath canning seems fairly easy for high acid foods so I might try that as well. I am reading out of one of the books I ordered called, Complete Guide to Home Canning and Preserving, published by the US Department of Agriculture.
Heidi...you can never overdo it when it comes to canning supplies. They don't spoil. :lol: We have well over 100 dozen lids in stock in our pantry right now. Ya just never know what this economy will bring, in the next few months.........

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so I'll bring it up. I bought a couple cases of Am Harvest last year because they were cheaper. When I started using them I found that I couldn't get all 7 to fit in the rack at once no matter how I turned them. When I looked at them side by side I noticed they were bigger around than the Ball. Has anyone else noticed this ; did I just get a freak batch ; or am I the freak that doesn't know what he is doing ? :/
I never knew there was a difference, but we always have used the Ball jars, rings and flats. I will have to check that out......

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I noticed some smaller jars at Big Lots, but I did not notice the price on those.

I guess I've never seen American Harvest myself, but have only used Ball and Kerr jars.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought 2 dozen pint jars at Big Lots and paid $6.50 a dozen. I also purchased regular jar lids for $1.25 (I think). I do know that Big Lots has the cheapest prices around these parts for jars and lids.

edited for fat finger typos

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
If anyone has a Winco store within 50 miles, it's worth the drive just for the canning supplies. I got a dozen wide mouth quarts with lids and rings for 7.59 today. A dozen lids 1.29 (standard). Pectin was 1.28. The standard pints were, IIRC, less than $6 for 12.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Our local Tractor Supply has just started carrying them as well.

I agree about the wide mouth being my chosen jar. They are easier to clean by hand (big handed me) and easier to fill. I still have both kinds but all of my new jars will be wide mouth.