Canning your own dog food - Need recipes

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Does anybody here can their own dog food? I tried my pooch on raw and he HATED it, so I am back to buying good-quality canned, which is ridiculously expensive. I'm learning to can for myself, and wanted to know if anybody here can give me some pointers or recipes for home-made dog food.

Recipes must be GRAIN FREE.

Here's a piccy of the finicky fido in question:

1475_diddy02sm.jpg

This is Didy. He's a 13 pound...something.

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They take a bit to adjust to raw, and they like it best frozen or at least still crystal ice structure in it. It's a mess like that so best fed outside, or at least my dogs will not keep it in place. As for fussy, mine get what they get and no change or other offers till the same time next day so they got over being fussy. I feed all organ meats and meat and bones, they are prepacked in the freezer in a feeding size and whatever I pull out that day they get. When I'm processing for the dogs I do try and make a mix in each bag of organ meat and meat/bone but it's not perfect, their diet varies.

As for canned dog food can everything you would feed raw I guess. Most of the dog foods have flavour enhancer chemicals in them that he may be used to so you could think about weaning him off those by mixing canned and raw for a bit, gradually fade out the canned.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of my favorite treats for myself is just lightly cooked(no pink but not rubberized either) chicken liver- all the family cats have to sit and watch me eat that nice liver with a bit of butter and other spice/herbs(depends on what I am in the mood for) all the while they give me that look--"Why is momma eating the cat food?"
I would look at the label of what you are buy and try to mimic it without the fillers that might make little Didy sick.
Just remember that onion and garlic can be very bad for animals. Some cats can get very sick if you put onion in their foods, and I think the same goes for dogs.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I just can whatever meat I have on hand with whatever vegies I have on hand. Just a little bit of vegies and well chopped. Our dog likes her vegies raw, so the cooked ones have to be cut into little bits. Sometimes I add unsalted broth if I have it.

I do still give her high quality dry dog food. I also give her raw meat, when ever I get the chance. She turns her nose up at some of it, sometimes if I leave something in her bowl for days, she will eventually eat it. I figure it just wasn't ripe enough for her prior to that time :gig
I figure if dogs like chicken poo and cat poo, maybe they need the liver to be sitting in the bowl for 3 days, before they find it appealing :sick

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dogs eat a combo of premium dry food, raw, and this homemade concoction:

I pressure cook one whole cut up chicken (time will vary, 1 to 2 hours) until it is mushy and all the bones are broken down and soft. Then I add whatever leftover cooked veggies I have on hand, and cooked brown rice. I freeze it in individual portions.

They also get a raw egg every few days - I give it to them outside without cracking it first. Funny to watch them figure it out!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Removed from thread by be.

Sorry if I offended anyone for talking bad about my dog. I guess the word we choose even though they have no malicious intentions may be taken wrong by others.

:rolleyes:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I probably need to give my dog some eggs everynow and then.

fancy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We used to give our 5 big dogs an egg apiece, just for the entertainment value. They all had a slightly different approach to eating it.

Fancy

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I thought about giving him one this afternoon but just had four eggs :rolleyes: