cantalope emergency

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was in WalMart tonight and bought 5 really nice cantaloupes for $.50 a piece. My family loves this luscious melon and I am looking for some creative ideas how to preserve it. I would like to go back tomorrow and purchase more but I just am not sure what I can do with it other than eat it fresh. I am open to all suggestions and recipes.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never made these but I tagged them for later use, I too find really great deals on cantaloupes where I live just not sure the family would be thrilled with the products :rolleyes:
The Waterbath time would need to be adjusted if you live above 1000'
Cantaloupe peach jam
Ingredients:

Servings:

6 half pints

* 4 cups peeled seeded and chopped cantaloupe
* 4 cups peeled seeded and chopped peaches
* 6 cups sugar
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind

Directions:

Prep Time: 1 1/2 hrs

Total Time: 2 1/2 hrs

1. 1 Add the cantaloupe and peaches to a large pot.
2. 2 Cook over medium heat, stir constantly, for 15 minutes.
3. 3 Add in sugar and lemon juice, stir to combine.
4. 4 Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
5. 5 Lower the heat and simmer 30 minutes or until thickened.
6. 6 Add in the lemon rind and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring constantly.
7. 7 Take pot from oven burner; skim off foam.
8. 8 Pour hot mixture into hot, sterilzed jars, fill to about 1/4-inch from top.
9. 9 Remove air bubbles and wipe jar rims.
10. 10 Cover immediately with jar lids and screw on bands.
11. 11 Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cantaloupe Jam

Ingredients:

Servings:

5 half-pint jars, about

* 3 cups firm ripe cantaloupe, seeded, peeled, crushed, lightly drained (about 2 large)
* 1/2 cup strained fresh lemon juice
* 5 3/4 cups sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter
* 1 (6 ounce) package liquid pectin

Directions:

Prep Time: 45 mins

Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs

1. 1 In an 8-quart pan, combine the cantaloupe, lemon juice, sugar, and butter.
2. 2 Over med-low heat, stirring constantly, heat the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved.
3. 3 Increase heat to med-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
4. 4 Stir in the entire contents of both pectin pouches; return mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
5. 5 Boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
6. 6 Remove pan from the heat; skim off any foam.
7. 7 To prevent jam from separating in the jars, allow the jam to cool for 5 minutes before filling the jars.
8. 8 Gently stir the jam every minute or so to distribute the fruit.
9. 9 Ladle the hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
10. 10 Wipe jar rims and threads with a clean, damp cloth; cover with hot lids and apply screw rings.
11. 11 Process half-pint jars in a 200F water bath for 10 minutes; pint jars for 15 minutes.

Courtesy of recipezaar's ratherbeswimmin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about pureeing it up in the blender and freezing it for smoothies and shakes? Or cantaloupe salsa (use peach salsa recipe) great on pork and chicken bbq'd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amish spiced cantaloupe recipe off of Amishshop.com
Spiced Cantaloupe
Wash the cantaloupe, cut it in slices, and remove the seeds and rind. Cut melon into 2" pieces and pack into sterilized jars. combine the sugar, water and vinegar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot syrup over the melon in the jars. If necessary, add boiling water to fill jars completely. Add the oil to the syrup. Place self-sealing lid and ring on the jar. Process in a home canner for 15 minutes, timing from the moment the water comes to a full boil.

Makes 2 pints or 1 quart
2 pounds firm ripe cantaloupe
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
2/3 c. cider vinegar
4 drops oils of cinnamon and cloves (equal parts)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cantaloupe Cream Pie

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cantaloupe-cream-pie-ii/Detail.aspx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who knew there were so many ideas for cantaloupe, GOOD LUCK let us know if you try any of them ;) I usually end up cutting them in half and throwing them to the spoiled chickens, geese, and turkeys.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you are a smoothie-eatin' kind of person, it freezes ok for smoothies; or you can puree it into basically murky juice and freeze it that way, although IME it tastes better if you mix it with a bit of something else before actually drinking it.

I would *think* the frozen puree would make good popsicle type things, if there is any need for them in your home.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
Who knew there were so many ideas for cantaloupe, GOOD LUCK let us know if you try any of them ;) I usually end up cutting them in half and throwing them to the spoiled chickens, geese, and turkeys.
Thanks VERY much for those recipes!! The only part of any melons that my chickens see, are the bones that we don't eat! :lol:

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your welcome, I have been wanting to try them but I think the family might turn there noses up at most of it just because only one of us actually eats it raw.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Which WalMart? My son loves cantaloupe, but he is the only one and it's usually too expensive to buy just for him.

I love for ball or cube and freeze. Frozen fruit makes an awesome summer snack. :)

charmed one

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
woodwzrd said:
I was in WalMart tonight and bought 5 really nice cantaloupes for $.50 a piece. My family loves this luscious melon and I am looking for some creative ideas how to preserve it. I would like to go back tomorrow and purchase more but I just am not sure what I can do with it other than eat it fresh. I am open to all suggestions and recipes.
Here is a link to a bunch of Cantaloupe recipes I found. :)

http://www.easyfunschool.com/article2222.html

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have dehydrated it before and it tastes AMAZING! Cut the slices a bit thicker than normal however, when the water is gone it shrinks up a lot!