cantalope emergency

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I never thought about drying it!
What is the texture like after it's dried??

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My kids loved it dehydrated, I forgot to mention that! It's chewy and sweet, really fantastic. I have also done honeydew it was not as good as cantaloupe.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I do mine about a 1/4 of an inch thick - maybe a even a little more.

Watermelon is also the bomb!

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a double batch of cantaloupe sorbet going in the ice cream maker and a double batch of cantaloupe jam ready to go on the stove and I still have 5 to use up. I think I am going to puree and freeze some in ice cube trays tomorrow. I will report on todays experiments when they are done.

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, so the jam was a flop. :( It didn't set so I am not sure what to do with it now. Any suggestions on how to get it to set wuold be great. The sorbet on the other hand was amazing. It was really light and very refreshing. I am pretty sure I will make another batch tonight. I may try a different jam recipe as well. The nice thing about the sorbet is that in a 4 quart batch there is only 2/3 cup sugar and 4 T of corn syrup. I would post a pic but I can't figure out how. Sorry.

cantaloupe sorbet

2 large cantaloupe
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
4 T corn syrup
4 T lemon juice

combine water and sugar in sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue boiling until all the sugar is disolved. Set aside to cool. Puree the cantaloupe with the lemon juice and corn syrup. Chill Mixture. Add the sugar water to the puree and freeze in ice cream maker.

I added the sugar water and then put it back in the blender for a few seconds just before I put it in the ice cream maker. This seemed to make it a little lighter.

hunterjumper999

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
the jam that did not set...

try dipping some chicken in to grill maybe??

or

if you bake, brush on a cake before you ice so the crumbs don't stick in the icing...

OR

cantalope poundcake?