Car / Auto Paint Work

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
My kid has an older car that had some pretty significant paint issues. Some areas were rusting and the paint was bubbling-up pealing away.

I asked her what she wanted to do. We watched a bunch of youtube videos and decided we'd at least fix the rust problems so they didn't get worse, and also attempt to make things look a little nicer. Not perfection (on an old cheap car) but at least a little improvement.

She purchased primer and color-match paint, and I had misc. tools, wet-sandpaper, etc., and we went to work!

Some before pics:
roof2.jpg

side1.jpg

roof1.jpg

Some DURING pics (we ground-down the rust to bare-metal and primed it):
hood2.jpg

side2.jpg

Some AFTER pics (We still need to do the clear-coat next week):
roof3.jpg

hood4.jpg

side3.jpg

hood3.jpg

Definitely NOT perfect, and we ran out of color paint, but all things considered, it looks WAY WAY better than it did... and most importantly, the rust is gone / stopped!

We're going to clear-coat it next week, and excited that it will look even better!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My kid has an older car that had some pretty significant paint issues. Some areas were rusting and the paint was bubbling-up pealing away.

I asked her what she wanted to do. We watched a bunch of youtube videos and decided we'd at least fix the rust problems so they didn't get worse, and also attempt to make things look a little nicer. Not perfection (on an old cheap car) but at least a little improvement.

She purchased primer and color-match paint, and I had misc. tools, wet-sandpaper, etc., and we went to work!

Some before pics:
View attachment 24597

View attachment 24598

View attachment 24599

Some DURING pics (we ground-down the rust to bare-metal and primed it):
View attachment 24595

View attachment 24596

Some AFTER pics (We still need to do the clear-coat next week):
View attachment 24591

View attachment 24592

View attachment 24593

View attachment 24594

Definitely NOT perfect, and we ran out of color paint, but all things considered, it looks WAY WAY better than it did... and most importantly, the rust is gone / stopped!

We're going to clear-coat it next week, and excited that it will look even better!

That looks pretty good. Getting rid of of the corrosion is super important and you did that. Matched the paint up nicely.

The paint is coming off on my truck. No corrosion. Too many large spots to bother trying to do it myself. I can't be bothered to try and remove the moss more often than twice a year though.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It not only looks good and rust is gone, but more importantly, it’s father daughter time well spent. In our new and shiny world, repairing what you have is a good lesson to teach. She learned more than just fixing a paint job, do it yourself and save money for something she can’t do herself. Wise decision!