Carrots boosted goats production

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We started feeding carrots to our goat at milking time, in addition to her barley and BOSS.
She is a first time freshener, so we were happy with the 3 cups per milking she had been giving.
Well, since adding the carrots to her diet, her production went up another cup per milking.
So we are now getting 3.5 gallons from her per week.
In addition, the milk got much sweeter!

Our long term goal is to not feed grain to any of our goats.
We will have to grain our current one and her offspring, but all other kids born here, will never get anything more then the occasional treat when it comes to grains.
I plan on feeding BOSS, carrots, rutabagas, turnips and parsnips instead.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Britesea said:
Stupid question; what is BOSS?
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

Thanks for mentioning this BBrooks I will need to keep this in mind for spring when I get my girls.....

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Britesea said:
Stupid question; what is BOSS?
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

Thanks for mentioning this BBrooks I will need to keep this in mind for spring when I get my girls.....
Just makes sure to not take grain from ones that already consume it. They can have the amount lowered, but everything I have read warns against full elimination.
My long term goal is to grow enough roots to feed 2 pigs each summer and 4 goats year round.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Are you going to try mangelwurzels? I believe they're quite large, and store well in a clamp, if you can get them to grow up there.
Yes, but we ran out of garden space this year. Lord willing, we will have room next year.
I am certain they will grow extremely well up here, and will store well in the root cellar.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is cutting up all those roots that is a pain in the patoot. I have pumpkins in my dreams by December!

I still wonder why I got so many multiples births this spring....was it the buck (many say no) or the flushing with pumpkins? I also fed beet kvass during breeding season in small amounts as a supplement.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
It is cutting up all those roots that is a pain in the patoot. I have pumpkins in my dreams by December!

I still wonder why I got so many multiples births this spring....was it the buck (many say no) or the flushing with pumpkins? I also fed beet kvass during breeding season in small amounts as a supplement.
That is why one of those root shreddres would be nice for larger herds.
I am milking just one, so chopping two cups of veg is pretty easy.
Ask me again when I am milking 4 :lol:

As to the multiples due to vege over grain? Very possible, as the veges cause better health for them.
Shoot, I know what grains did to my endocrine system!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Trying to decide if I am brave enough to post this over on BYH. :hide