Carrots boosted goats production

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do it! Kstaven is actively posting and he has an organic dairy. Let's not let the inmates run the asylum! Newbies need to know that you don't have to feed commercial pellets and there are other options. Everyone over there now insists that production cannot be boosted and my favorite, that a doe in milk cannot gain weight. Harrumph. :rolleyes:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Do it! Kstaven is actively posting and he has an organic dairy. Let's not let the inmates run the asylum! Newbies need to know that you don't have to feed commercial pellets and there are other options. Everyone over there now insists that production cannot be boosted and my favorite, that a doe in milk cannot gain weight. Harrumph. :rolleyes:
Pardon me while I laugh for awhile :gig

Ok, I will post over there.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It's much better now that there is a new sheriff in town. :p Haven't needed to call the posse in.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A doe in milk can't gain weight? ...excuse me for a moment while I fall over laughing :lol:

They never met my tubbies. And they were only getting about a cup of grain a day. That weight was all from hay and pasture.

Oh I wish I wasn't drying them up so I could try out the carrot thing.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Is the reason for not totally taking them off grains gut flora?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No, they don't require grains to maintain gut flora....actually, too much grain will create acidosis and can kill them rather quickly. Modern goats, like modern cows, were developed for high volume production and it is rather difficult to maintain them without grain. Sprouting is a good option.

You can't give them unlimited veggies, either, as that will also throw off the gut flora. They are designed to eat leaves and grass. LOTS of it. So most of us need to supplement since pasture is limited and high enough quality hay is hard to get. They have very high nutrient needs, higher than other domestic animals.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wait - did i miss something? do i need to run over there and start swinging???

*goes back and reads*

ahhh... got it. um i think there are more folks over there looking for alternatives... you might give it a go. but let us know so we can stand behind you. and yeah kstaven is the BUSINESS. he doenst take any shenanigans - and is totally approachable.

:)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My 3 will not touch a carrot with a ten foot pole. Nor will they eat pumpkin...or watermelon....or molasses....or herbal wormer.... maybe I'll try beet pulp next....

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
My 3 will not touch a carrot with a ten foot pole. Nor will they eat pumpkin...or watermelon....or molasses....or herbal wormer.... maybe I'll try beet pulp next....
I would avoid beet pulp. It is super processed, and it will not compost.
I bet you can get next years babies to eat root veges!