Cast iron...

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The BF and I were talking about cast iron today. I made bacon in it as I usually do, but usually he isn't home when I use it. Anyways, he's talking about having to wash it now since he only uses it for eggs, not bacon. It had some junk on it of course but I've always scraped it out then wiped with a paper towel. Does it hurt it to scrape it? He's saying it'll strip the seasoning, but I just don't see how that's possible. We haven't had any issues with it so far, with the scraping method...

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Scraping is just fine, I do it all the time :)

Counter to popular advice, you can even wash cast iron cookware if necessary--it's just best to use no soap, very hot water, and to ensure that the piece is completely dry before you put it away.

If you are cooking fatty foods like bacon on a regular basis, you needn't worry about the seasoning unless you can see that it's worn off anywhere--in which case you just cook up some more bacon!

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moolie said:
Scraping is just fine, I do it all the time :)

Counter to popular advice, you can even wash cast iron cookware if necessary--it's just best to use no soap, very hot water, and to ensure that the piece is completely dry before you put it away.

If you are cooking fatty foods like bacon on a regular basis, you needn't worry about the seasoning unless you can see that it's worn off anywhere--in which case you just cook up some more bacon!
:barnie My poor dead grandma just gasped when you said you can wash your iron skillet in soap :lol: I still can not immerse my iron skillet in soapy water :hide

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Um, I said best to use no soap :hu

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wait I just re-read and you said not use soap, whew.......

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks! That's what I had thought. I was reading up on it, and everything I found said to use soap and re-season it every time you cooked bacon... Seems stupid to have to go through all of that if you can just scrape it out. Pretty stupid to have to reseason it every single time you cook bacon... Didn't think scraping was a problem, but BF had me wondering. I've always just scraped it out and he's never noticed, but he busted me this time, lol.

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sorry Mollie, I didn't know you had posted again. My mistake I need to re-read before posting. It brought bak memories of my Grandmother and there was 2 things you never did and that was wash her skillet or her bread pan. My sister made that mistake and I can still see her glares and she really was a sweet and gentle soul but boy don't ever touch the bread pan.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've read that a number of people season their cast iron with bacon grease - so why would cooking bacon in the pan require it to be re-seasoned? I figure every time I cook bacon I am adding to the seasoning. I usually pour the fat off after cooking, and then just wipe the pan out. and put it aside for next time.

(And :hide I do on occasion use soap in my pans, when they are really grungy. I don't bother re-seasoning, but will cook up some bacon if it looks like there might be some bare spots)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess i do everything wrong with my cast iron. haha, I have 7 skillets and I love every one of them. I even use pumice stone on them when they get really grungy. I wash them with soap, scrape them, and have been known to toss them in a brand iron fire after the cattle were branded or in a fireplace overnight, to re-season and start all over again. :lol:

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, being on an Atkins-inspired eating plan, every am I cook bacon, pour off some grease cook my eggs, set the skillet aside. Repeat the next am. If I don't get all the egg out I wipe it out the next am with a paper towel, otherwise that's it. Once a week or so I use that pan for something else and swish it with hot water and maybe a little soap, back on the hot burner to dry and back to the bacon and eggs next am. I've not ever heard of needing to season or clean after cooking bacon in a cast iron pan.

Latest posts