Cast iron...

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
I swear I have to get the two cast iron frying pans that we found fixed up. They're rusty :( I need to try the coke trick that someone suggested, and if that doesn't work I suppose I'll find a sand blaster and have them blasted. I really need to do it cause I really wanna cook on cast iron! I feel so left out!
If you go the blaster route make sure he knows about cast iron (most do) if he treats them like steel he can ruin them! The 'coke trick' converts red-lbrown iron(III) oxide, Fe2O3 (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO4. it looks like cast iron but can be removed by scrubing. Better and faster is NAVAL JELLY which is stronger in acid and has a thickener that allows it to be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces. IMHO this works better for surfaces that are to be painted the ferric phosphate takes paint very well.

If you have 'good stuff' restore it the way collectors do [i have lost my lincs try a search under "castiron cookware collectors" ~gd

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Thanks, gd. Where does one find 'Naval jelly'???? it sounds scary!

Coke is probably cheaper, so I'll try that first.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Thanks, gd. Where does one find 'Naval jelly'???? it sounds scary! big box hardware or home improvement store along with the metal paints and wire brushes. I think they only recommend gloves as safety gear

Coke is probably cheaper, so I'll try that first. cheaper really? Coke is running about $0.80/L on special here. how many L will be needed to fill your pan, Soak outside? Your momey your choice!

hqueen13

Reaction score
You can often get 2 liters for 99 cents, the stuff is cheaper than water, I swear. :sick

I'll check the hardware store, we have to go there tomorrow anyway! Thanks!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
~gd said:
hqueen13 said:
I swear I have to get the two cast iron frying pans that we found fixed up. They're rusty :( I need to try the coke trick that someone suggested, and if that doesn't work I suppose I'll find a sand blaster and have them blasted. I really need to do it cause I really wanna cook on cast iron! I feel so left out!
If you go the blaster route make sure he knows about cast iron (most do) if he treats them like steel he can ruin them! The 'coke trick' converts red-lbrown iron(III) oxide, Fe2O3 (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO4. it looks like cast iron but can be removed by scrubing. Better and faster is NAVAL JELLY which is stronger in acid and has a thickener that allows it to be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces. IMHO this works better for surfaces that are to be painted the ferric phosphate takes paint very well.

If you have 'good stuff' restore it the way collectors do [i have lost my lincs try a search under "castiron cookware collectors" ~gd
For old cast iron that is rusty or cruddy with blackened build up, I burn them. I build a fire, get it blazing and put the cast iron in, let fire burn down and the cast iron will be gray like it was when it was brand new.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Ohhh maybe I can do that, we just built a fire pit! Does it work on rust, or just black crud buildup?