Cat bag taters and to-maters

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those "plastic burlap" bags sound like what my Layena comes in. I saw a really cute tote bag that was made from a chicken feed bag. Directions are over on the BYC forum, I think. I'm gonna make some, but we go through chicken feed so slow, I only have one empty bag since we switched to a brand name feed. I will find the thread for the directions, and get back to you. :)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just bumped it up. It's in the "Hobbies" section on BYC, if you want to see how they are made.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Almost all of my feed comes in those bags. And, that's more bags than I can use. I saved them for a bit hoping I could do something w/them, but I was being overwhelmed! So, now I use them for trash.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
If it's the kind of "plastic burlap" I'm thinking of, they make great dish scrubbers. Cut a piece, scrunch it up and tie it like one of those bath loofa things and voila! Dish scrubber!

Sweetened

Power Conserver
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
If it's the kind of "plastic burlap" I'm thinking of, they make great dish scrubbers. Cut a piece, scrunch it up and tie it like one of those bath loofa things and voila! Dish scrubber!
You're thinking what garlic trios are kept in. This is not that.

piecemaker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I planted mators in feed bags last year. They worked great. DH said they are redneck planters. Did some tree starts in one

piecemaker

Sweetened

Power Conserver
Reaction score
piecemaker said:
I planted mators in feed bags last year. They worked great. DH said they are redneck planters. Did some tree starts in one

piecemaker
That's awesome! Did the plants produce well?

piecemaker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sweetened said:
piecemaker said:

piecemaker
That's awesome! Did the plants produce well?
The plants did as good or better than the things planted in big potts

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you ever seen the ads for upside down planters? They are basically the same as your feedsack planters only hanging from a support, Last year I made my own using those woven sacks, stuck 3 'Patio tomato' (fruit bigger than a cherry/grape tomato but smaller than regular fruit) and hung them from the porch. very pretty and they received comments from most. The only problem was that they didn't get enough sun under the porch roof. This year I am going to do 4 bags full and hang them from the T supports from the old clothline which I have replaced with a reel type clothline which I like better.

Sweetened

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
Have you ever seen the ads for upside down planters? They are basically the same as your feedsack planters only hanging from a support, Last year I made my own using those woven sacks, stuck 3 'Patio tomato' (fruit bigger than a cherry/grape tomato but smaller than regular fruit) and hung them from the porch. very pretty and they received comments from most. The only problem was that they didn't get enough sun under the porch roof. This year I am going to do 4 bags full and hang them from the T supports from the old clothline which I have replaced with a reel type clothline which I like better.
Great idea! I never thought of that