cat food

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My neighbor traps beavers and feeds the carcasses (minus the pelts) to his dogs. I think he said he keeps them in the freezer. I would think probably raccoon hunters probably feed their hounds the meat again minus the pelts. Most people around here don't eat raccoon much anymore. My dogs like to catch possums, armadillos, cats (I hope ferrell), and my chickens eat frogs, lizards, snakes, bugs, and anything that doesn't eat them first.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, my cat would LOVE you forever. She and I are currently fighting over food. She wants JUST tinned food. I'm offering tinned as a treat and kibble as main. Problem is if she eats only the tins, she's greedy and eats way too much.

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Makes sense - halibut is pretty pricey around here!
It's pricey here to. When we were making this food my uncles and grandparents sent the fish when they went to Alaska for vacation. They just didn't know we where using some of the fish for cat food

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now you've got me curious. Not trying to be confrontational in the least - cuz I'm not a cat person anyway. But, what is it in mice that would provide more balance? My dogs are pretty good ratters - but they don't eat them. Okay, that's not exactly true - they'll eat the little bitty baby ones - but they don't eat a grown rat at all. (I don't blame them!)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Ehh… yum? ;)

I'm trying and failing to remember, but there is a certain nutrient that cats need more off… Goodness, what is it now, niacin, thiamine? I read this ages ago.

Has anyone tried the "raw food" diet for their dogs? I used to chat with someone that did and she was convinced it's the best. She added me to a FB group where they talked about it too, but I left it.

When I grew up we had a few Bullterriers and they loved mice. Dead or alive, they ate them.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't feed raw on my two dogs only because I can't afford it. They do get the best quality kibble I can afford and not the really cheap stuff. The GSD cannot have wheat without getting horribly sick.

They do get old hens or roosters to eat as they come up. Supplements the food and makes the dogs happy. One bird will go two days for them. They get the short ribs half the time from our half beef.