cayenne burning fingers - help!

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
I'm hoping y'all can tell me something pretty fast.

I was trying to do a nice thing and made some deep fried cayenne peppers for my hubby for dinner. And he loved them.

Problem is i didn't count on how badly the oil would affect my fingers (i didn't use any gloves while cleaning the peppers). After a couple of hours, the heat seemed to diminish. Then i washed some dishes, and it came back with a vengeance!

Do you know what i might have in my house that would help? I don't want to put anything on it to make it worse. And i don't have any aloe vera.

alcohol?
vinegar?

an ice cube feels great until it melts.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know you drink milk to cool your mouth. Maybe you can stick your fingers in some. I hope someone else can help.

g

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I know you drink milk to cool your mouth. Maybe you can stick your fingers in some. I hope someone else can help.

g
That's exactly what i thought. And it helps momentarily - kind of like the ice cube. :/

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OLIVE OIL.

My wife and I use theraputic grade essential oils and some of them can be very strong. If they get to strong you can dilute or neutralize them with olive oil. just dip your fingers in a bowl of olive oil and rub them together to neutralize the oils from the peppers.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm....try "washing" your hands with some oil. It is probably the pepper oils that are in your skin and the water won't get them off. Your hands may have somewhat absorbed them by now, though....ow.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
God bless you ALL!

I'm out of olive oil (Lord have mercy!) but tried some canola oil, and it seems to be working. I thought i might keep it on and wear a glove to bed.

Should i keep the oil on there? Or wash it off and start over?

Thank you so much!! I already feel much better. My thumb is being a little stubborn, but it is still much better than it was.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I think it will dilute the pepper oil, so try washing it off and re-oiling your hands a few times to see if that will get all the pepper oil out of your skin.