CC's 2019 Garden

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
4 rows left in my spring garden, I only have beets and lettuce left to sow, hopefully it'll be dry enough Tuesday evening. The spring garden consists of carrots, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts & spinach two 25' rows each.

I also planted about 100' of english peas in the summer garden since they mature pretty quick, I can plant peppers there when their done.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hooray my spring garden is finally all planted and I was able to run the tiller around in there also :)
IMG_20190319_172324054.jpg

I had another strange thing happen to my while working in this garden this late afternoon. Last year i took a picture and there was a rainbow in this garden.

I had just finished hilling up my last 4 rows and was turning my attention to sowing lettuce seeds. It was a great day for sowing fly away seeds because the winds were very calm. Then all of a sudden it got very cold, to the point where the hair was standing up on my arms and legs cold. Then it got very windy. I could hear the winds rustling the pine and cedar trees. I'm like oh great... No sowing lettuce today. Then I seen dry leaves and pine needles and small stick spinning counter clockwise in the loose shape of a cylinder headed right for me. I'm like what in the world is this? Then next thing I know I'm completed surrounded by leaves and pine needles and small sticks spinning around me counter clockwise. The spinning thing stopped moving but was still spinning. I was inside this counter clockwise spinning vortex thing for over 15 seconds and I was utterly amazed by this. How did I get inside of this without even so much of a scratch from even a small stick. I reached out to grab a stick or leaf or pine needle that was spinning around me, when i did, it just wisk away directly north, as like it did not want me touching it. Again no injury not even a scratch when it left. The wind stopped, it was no longer cold and the spinning thing was gone. At that time I had an overwhelming sense of awe and amazement. I ain't never experienced anything like that before in my life. I can't even begin to guess what it was other than a spirit or an angel of some kind. I first thought was maybe it was a whirlwind but the more I think about it and the way it behaved the more I think it wasn't a whirlwind. Typing this right now the hair on my arms and legs is standing up again.

If you have any explanations or guesses what this spinny cylinder shaped thing might have been, please reply - thanks.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the garden planted. Even more congrats for your experience! It seems that it is something that will stay with you! Who knows how it might have originated but it was a special experience!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think you experienced a little mini cyclone. How cool is that! I don't think it was an angel. We are surrounded by the spiritual realm, both good and evil. But, when angelic presence appeared in the Bible, it was usually for direct communication with the person(s) they had been sent to visit. In a quick search of the scriptures regarding angels, they almost always appeared in human form. Then, there's this verse: Hebrews 13:2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Again, human form, such that an angel can't be discerned from any other person you might meet on the street.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think you experienced a little mini cyclone. How cool is that! I don't think it was an angel. We are surrounded by the spiritual realm, both good and evil. But, when angelic presence appeared in the Bible, it was usually for direct communication with the person(s) they had been sent to visit. In a quick search of the scriptures regarding angels, they almost always appeared in human form. Then, there's this verse: Hebrews 13:2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Again, human form, such that an angel can't be discerned from any other person you might meet on the street.

So a whirlwind then, very odd because the sky was blue no threat of storms. I do know one thing, I will never forget this experience.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not an authority on meteorological events, but that would be my assessment.

A dust devil (also known as a whirlwind) resembles a tornado in that it is a vertical swirling column of air. However, they form under clear skies and are no stronger than the weakest tornadoes. They form when a strong convective updraft is formed near the ground on a hot day.
Tornado - Wikipedia

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I was thinking dust devil, when I read your post, CC. We used to see them a lot in S.A. That was a pretty cool experience you had though! I've never seen a dust devil stay still in one spot, ours always moved and moved quickly at that.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am a little bit of a romantic I guess - I would take it as a blessing of the garden area from Mother Nature or a nod of approval from a previous homesteader.

At my place, I have started to garden in the area of the original garden from when the place was built. It hasn't been a garden for about 20 some years - they changed it to a calf yard after the wife got too frail to work in her garden.