CC's not so fine WINE diary

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Should I? There's enough for a good 3 gallon batch.
IMG_20210410_231908096~2.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dandelion wine?
My aunt used to make some that would knock your socks off, lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Easy Smeazy Grape Juice Wine.

Aldi's had Nature's Nectar grape juice on sale. 1/2 gallon for $1.89 so why not give it the old ferment try.

This is my own recipe so if you make it yourself be careful... It's some high octane stuff. When I made up this must I measured the gravity (fermentable sugar) of aldi's Nature's Nectar grape juice and I about fell out of my chair... 1.070 which if I just pitched the yeast without adding any additional sugar it would finish out dry around 10% alcohol by volume And people actually buy this stuff for their kids to drink?

Ingredients

• 1 lb. Sugar (cane or table sugar is fine) this will put original gravity at about 1.110 or ~ 16% alcohol by volume
  • 2 half gallons 100% Grape Juice 100% Grape Juice NOTE: Make sure your grape juice doesn’t contain any sorbate preservatives such as potassium sorbate/sorbic acid or else it won't ferment.
  • 1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
  • 1 tsp. Acid Blend
  • 1/2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
  • 1/4 tsp. Wine Tannin
  • 1 packet Red Star Montrachet wine yeast

View attachment 12106
Forgot I had a gallon of this, wow this is a really good dry white wine and I don't even like white wines, let alone dry ones. Well It ain't forgotten anymore... Not bad, not bad at all for a self created recipe. At 16% ABV, It's got quite a little kick 😂 really weird though... What's that vanilla hint I taste?
IMG_20220402_231829587_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finished Persimmon Wine.

It finished at 10.6% ABV so it's a little strong. I think if I were going to make it again I would kill off the yeast at about 1.010 on the hydrometer leave a little natural sweetness and a little less alcohol. I probably will back sweeten this a little bit with white table sugar. I'll sample a few different gravities and see what it tastes like then.

On the front end it tastes like liquid persimmon, if you ever eat a persimmon then that's what it tastes like. But it smells like a very mild orange juice and it's kind of like a mild orange sherbet aftertaste that lingers long in-between sips. I'm kind of taken back by the orange sherbet after taste. That was not anticipated at all. This is most definitely a dinner wine and not a stand alone drinking or desert wine at all. I think it would pair well with chinese food. Maybe something like sweet and sour chicken, orange chicken or shrimp fried rice. I'll have to try it and see. I'm still surprised by it's citrus characteristics though.

IMG_20220409_232816095_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok one thing... and I don't know why, but don't expect to have a glass of this persimmon wine in the evening and then go to sleep. This stuff kept me up and wide wake untill the we hours of the morning. I did not get near enough sleep last night. One would think the opposite to be true about wine and it may be for some wines🍷 that they relax you. But not this persimmon wine, just the one glass had me wide awake for hours.