CCX

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no corners. corners are a bad deal for them. they also pile up if the lamp is too hot
Spur of the moment kind of thing... I had to move a lot of old rough cut 2x out of there and fetch a hay round from the pasture. But all in all pretty happy with it. 68 in the coup but 43 outside not bad for two 250 watt heat lamps. I think they will be fine.

Death by piling seems to be my number one problem with CCX. They get cold and is like "dog pile" the ones on the bottom don't make it out alive.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
no corners. corners are a bad deal for them. they also pile up if the lamp is too hot

You are absolutely right about corners. But I never thought about heat lamps being to hot. This time I put in two heat lamps and spaced them apart where the edges of the circles overlap slightly.

Supposed to get down to 30 degrees overnight. I suspect if piling is going to happen, it will overnight. Hopefully I won't have any dead meaties tomorrow morning.

I just decided to leave their feed tonight. It's already 35 outside and if I open the door to grab their feed, it's just gonna blast cold air into their coop.

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I lost a about 10 from heat lamps being too close....but it was in the 60s, not the 30s

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I lost a about 10 from heat lamps being too close....but it was in the 60s, not the 30s

Nice having a window to look inside. Just checked it's 32 outside, 55 in the coop, 4 sitting in the feed tray, the rest scattered around the heat lamps. Typical big fat fatty CCX's - fingers crossed.

If I can get them past this week it might warm back up again. Although I doubt it... Though, they will be more feathered by then.

Monday and Tuesday brrr overnight. I have one more heat lamp I could stick in there that would be 750 watts or pulling a little north of 6 amps.

I knew keeping them warm was going to be a challenge when I bought them but I ain't scared of a challenge. If your scared, say your scared :rolleyes:

Screenshot_20201128-232309.png

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No dead CCX this morning \o/ But man they were happy to see me, they all ran to the door doing their little protests. They were out of food - oh no, not that, it's the end of the world!

I need to pick up some lime tomorrow and lime the hay. Did I mention they stink? I think I did at least once.

I found my milk house heater so I have that ready for tomorrow.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Couldn't think they of a better place to be a stinky meat chicken for 8 or so weeks. 8'x16' secure tack room inside the barn, a cement floor, nice thick layer of hay, 2x 250 watt heat lamps, food and water, heck they even have a window if we get any warm days and for ventilation when needed. What more could a cornish cross want?

From man door
View attachment 15032
Looking in from the window outside.
View attachment 15033

Ventilation and lots of it. I'd pop that window wide open and you'll likely need more venting than that as they grow.

Good eatin'!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Has to be cultured and non pasteurized buttermilk though right? I could skip the Bragg's ACV then, since acetic acid bacteria will already be present in their feed. acetic acid bacteria is what makes vinegar, vinegar.

You don't need buttermilk to ferment feed, CC. Just feed and water, 50* temps and a little time, then just backslop each time to mix up a fresh batch.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You don't need buttermilk to ferment feed, CC. Just feed and water, 50* temps and a little time, then just backslop each time to mix up a fresh batch.

Throw some wine yeast in there and a few lbs of sugar = happy chickens :)

Latest posts