Cecilia's Journal

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How often is raw milk homogenized? I wonder if the perceived benefits of raw milk are actually from homogenizing it. Homogenizing messes up the proteins.

I buy A2 grassfed cream line milk. Its $10/gallon and driving an extra 10-20 miles to get it. You either allocate money to food or healthcare. Good food is more pleasant than getting poked and prodded and meds and hurting all the time!

Milk that has not been homogenized contains a layer of cream that rises to the top , The main advantage to homogenizing milk is that it only changes the size of the fat globules, making them more uniform, and therefore the fat will remain more evenly dispersed throughout the milk.

Everyone is different and makes different choices,, our personal choice is Raw Milk or Organic Valley Milk. DVC milk is not homogenized.

https://www.rawmilkinstitute.org/updates/letter-to-medical-professionals-about-raw-milk

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the little known things about Non-homogenized milk and the size of the fat globules.... when homogenized the fat globules are not only smaller and stay dispersed in the liquid, but they are also more absorbed THROUGH the walls of the intestines... so actually is alot worse for people. The full sized fat globules will pass through the system, with all the "good" is absorbed out of the fat, but much of the fat will not be absorbed into the blood stream. Most of the vitamins and minerals available in raw milk are in the fat... and if you do not absorb the fat from it but the good stuff, it is better for you to drink non-homogenized milk. And full fat milk is 96.5% fat free only 3.5% fat....on the average.... granted Jersey milk is more in the 4-5% fat range. Guernsey milk has the added benefit of having a higher beta carotene level... that is what was the "big deal" about the "Golden Guernsey"..... their fat is also yellow and is considered undesirable by people who do not understand why it is yellow. Feed lot beef has a white fat.... and the yellow comes more from grass fed... and the gene that is in the guernsey breed to absorb and then produce the higher levels of beta carotene.

RealMilk.com will have lists of each state and the rules and regulations. A few states like Va, do not allow the SALE of raw milk except for pet use... but they are pretty hands off on cow or herd shares. It is sorta like, don't ask, don't bother people.....but I look for that to get changed if we keep leaning left.... although the recent elections might just be the turning point for people to say NO, WE are going to have our say in how things are done..... not just sit back and let the "government" take care of things.....
You can also search out the Weston Price foundation that supports raw, real, healthy food.
Also the " Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund" which used to give a "course" on legalities of raw milk production, herd and cow shares etc..

Dairies had to vaccinate for Brucellosis... Bangs vaccinations..... for years. It is no longer a requirement. However there are still some hot spots for it, especially in the Yellowstone area, and it affects the buffalo(bison) herds out there. There are certain restrictions also for shipping breeding age cattle out there.

It is a one time vaccination, no boosters.... and has to be given at certain ages... but ALWAYS before a year old.

The farm I currently get my milk from has one of the lowest somatic cell counts when he was a commercial dairy; I get milk from them right now, because my dairy cows have been farmed out to a dairy I milk test since I had the ankle replacement nearly 2 years ago, and then knowing I was going to do the knees. I hope to be getting them back as they are ready to go dry this year. I am leaving there for their lactations to help cover the costs of the farmer keeping them. Yes he gets the milk, but prices are just now over $20/100 lbs.... so he has not been making much over the costs to keep the cows. The farmer I am getting my milk from, the milk will keep perfectly well, and is edible and drinkable, after 2 weeks or more in the fridge.... because he has low cell counts and the milk has low bacteria counts and all that. I had milk that was nearly a week old when I had the knees done... It was just as fresh tasting when I got home 13 days later and I finally could get around and was able to finally get some decent milk to drink.
Milk should be stored in glass.... always..... it will keep longer and will stay colder in the fridge.

I don't think people should just be able to sell raw milk.... this from the person who has anywhere from 4-8 dairy cows at a time. They should have to have their milk sampled just like the commercial farms do.... I am not saying telling you that you can do this and can't do that... and cow shares get people away from that... but milk should be tested for SCC and bacteria that every single tank of milk shipped off a farm has to be tested for and has to pass, the minimal requirements. Good sanitary practices will take care of most all of it. But scc can show up on a cow that has subclinical mastitis that the human eye does not see. Happens to any and all cows even with the very best of care....
In this world of "sue happy" idiots, there are certain precautions that will keep you from losing your little patch of paradise. Even honey producers have to meet certain standards, it would not be that big of a deal to test your cows. But the big milk companies do not want the "little guy" survive because they might get 1 one millionth of a share of the milk market... so the laws in some states are so that you cannot sell raw milk; PERIOD end of discussion. Some states allow it, certain ones have only pick up at the farm, have to have signed cow share agreement, or they can only sell for pet consumption, or other requirements....

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the little known things about Non-homogenized milk and the size of the fat globules.... when homogenized the fat globules are not only smaller and stay dispersed in the liquid, but they are also more absorbed THROUGH the walls of the intestines... so actually is alot worse for people. The full sized fat globules will pass through the system, with all the "good" is absorbed out of the fat, but much of the fat will not be absorbed into the blood stream. Most of the vitamins and minerals available in raw milk are in the fat... and if you do not absorb the fat from it but the good stuff, it is better for you to drink non-homogenized milk. And full fat milk is only 96.5% fat on the average.... granted Jersey milk is more in the 4-5% fat range. Guernsey milk has the added benefit of having a higher beta carotene level... that is what was the "big deal" about the "Golden Guernsey"..... their fat is also yellow and is considered undesirable by people who do not understand why it is yellow. Feed lot beef has a white fat.... and the yellow comes more from grass fed... and the gene that is in the guernsey breed to absorb and then produce the higher levels of beta carotene.

RealMilk.com will have lists of each state and the rules and regulations. A few states like Va, do not allow the SALE of raw milk except for pet use... but they are pretty hands off on cow or herd shares. It is sorta like, don't ask, don't bother people.....but I look for that to get changed if we keep leaning left.... although the recent elections might just be the turning point for people to say NO, WE are going to have our say in how things are done..... not just sit back and let the "government" take care of things.....
You can also search out the Weston Price foundation that supports raw, real, healthy food.
Also the " Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund" which used to give a "course" on legalities of raw milk production, herd and cow shares etc..

Dairies had to vaccinate for Brucellosis... Bangs vaccinations..... for years. It is no longer a requirement. However there are still some hot spots for it, especially in the Yellowstone area, and it affects the buffalo(bison) herds out there. There are certain restrictions also for shipping breeding age cattle out there.

It is a one time vaccination, no boosters.... and has to be given at certain ages... but ALWAYS before a year old.

The farm I currently get my milk from has one of the lowest somatic cell counts when he was a commercial dairy; I get milk from them right now, because my dairy cows have been farmed out to a dairy I milk test since I had the ankle replacement nearly 2 years ago, and then knowing I was going to do the knees. I hope to be getting them back as they are ready to go dry this year. I am leaving there for their lactations to help cover the costs of the farmer keeping them. Yes he gets the milk, but prices are just now over $20/100 lbs.... so he has not been making much over the costs to keep the cows. The farmer I am getting my milk from, the milk will keep perfectly well, and is edible and drinkable, after 2 weeks or more in the fridge.... because he has low cell counts and the milk has low bacteria counts and all that. I had milk that was nearly a week old when I had the knees done... It was just as fresh tasting when I got home 13 days later and I finally could get around and was able to finally get some decent milk to drink.
Milk should be stored in glass.... always..... it will keep longer and will stay colder in the fridge.

I don't think people should just be able to sell raw milk.... this from the person who has anywhere from 4-8 dairy cows at a time. They should have to have their milk sampled just like the commercial farms do.... I am not saying telling you that you can do this and can't do that... and cow shares get people away from that... but milk should be tested for SCC and bacteria that every single tank of milk shipped off a farm has to be tested for and has to pass, the minimal requirements. Good sanitary practices will take care of most all of it. But scc can show up on a cow that has subclinical mastitis that the human eye does not see. Happens to any and all cows even with the very best of care....
In this world of "sue happy" idiots, there are certain precautions that will keep you from losing your little patch of paradise. Even honey producers have to meet certain standards, it would not be that big of a deal to test your cows. But the big milk companies do not want the "little guy" survive because they might get 1 one millionth of a share of the milk market... so the laws in some states are so that you cannot sell raw milk; PERIOD end of discussion. Some states allow it, certain ones have only pick up at the farm, have to have signed cow share agreement, or they can only sell for pet consumption, or other requirements....
Yep, all true, and in Wa. you have to be licensed to sell and it is very heavily monitored,

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of the little known things about Non-homogenized milk and the size of the fat globules.... when homogenized the fat globules are not only smaller and stay dispersed in the liquid, but they are also more absorbed THROUGH the walls of the intestines... so actually is alot worse for people. The full sized fat globules will pass through the system, with all the "good" is absorbed out of the fat, but much of the fat will not be absorbed into the blood stream. Most of the vitamins and minerals available in raw milk are in the fat... and if you do not absorb the fat from it but the good stuff, it is better for you to drink non-homogenized milk. And full fat milk is 96.5% fat free only 3.5% fat....on the average.... granted Jersey milk is more in the 4-5% fat range. Guernsey milk has the added benefit of having a higher beta carotene level... that is what was the "big deal" about the "Golden Guernsey"..... their fat is also yellow and is considered undesirable by people who do not understand why it is yellow. Feed lot beef has a white fat.... and the yellow comes more from grass fed... and the gene that is in the guernsey breed to absorb and then produce the higher levels of beta carotene.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸