Cellphones

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have one through work and have to carry it...sometimes it comes in handy but not enough to override the annoyance of being tracked down repeatedly while you are driving and the call being something of little or no importance.

Now our company states that we cannot drive when we are on the phone and must pull over to answer or make a call. Heck, I'd be along the rode all day long if that is to be taken seriously!

I'd like to throw the darn thing in the Potomac and I would never own one myself unless I could no longer have a land line.

I find it a complete mystery that, with all this technology, they cannot find a cell phone battery pack that will last as long as a cordless phone's does. That is the single most annoying feature of the cell....batteries die so quickly that one must forever be plugging them in somewhere. And this is a new phone and battery!

I am in agreement with Andy J on the people who are totally absorbed in the phones.

The phones seem as addictive as anything else that completely occupies one's mind and thoughts....almost as bad as a chemical dependency and surely as bad as a psychological one.

My independent nature seems to bridle at dependency on anything so trivial as a neato little gadget. They are fine if used as a tool, but I rarely ever see that nowadays...especially by the younger crowd.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have a crackberry. I use it for work and to stay in contact with my husband and a friend in Denver (Hi Abi!).
HI!

I have one on my step dad's family plan. He made me get it because I don't have a landline and I was job hunting. I mostly text on it when I am going nuts at work and need an outlet.

:D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea they aren't a tool anymore---they are an addiction for most of the population. people are in total love with their cellphones.

when they came out I ran and got one....let the bill lapse real fast cause I never used it lol never had one again.

I just ain't into them cause I think I am sick of being attached to something all the time. I don't want my phone ringing in my purse driving down the road! That is my time to think lol

Collector

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have 2 phones I is from work I hate the thing . when I am working out in the field it does not stop ringing, makes it hard to get anything done. My personal fone is the new I-fone, it is really great for seding or checking e-mails surfing the net when i need something, getting maps and directions when I am looking for hotels, food, fuel, anything I need anywhere I am at. I travel alot for work, it has video fone so my wife and i can talk and see each other in real time. I do agree that folks with thier cells in public drives me nuts, When I am home i will leave the fones at home when we go places so I wont be bothered. They are a burden sometimes thats for sure!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We don't have a landline either.

My fiance has Sprint and TERRIBLE signal here! 1 bar if you're lucky - 2 is WOW! He pays $45-ish a month for 300 minutes a month.

He got me a Smart Talk (WalMart's new tracphone version). It's $30 per month for 1000 minutes and 1000 texts and some web use too. (Heaven forbid that I'm away from Facebook!! :rolleyes: ) And I have 4 bars of signal at home. Yay!

I'm going to be very careful on who gets my phone number. Definitely not my parents, lol. :cool:

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No landline either. Cell phones are cheaper with all the long distance family we have & we can take them with us for emergency travel use.

I use it for work, keeping up with DH & the kids and texting my beastie on break at work. And pictures!

When I get home, half the time I turn it off. I do leave it in the house on silent if I am working outside. I have this one guy friend who will call and if he doesn't get someone, he'll call & call & call 5 or 6 times only to talk about his day. Hello? I have voicemail, I return calls. If it's not an emergency, leave me a message or send a text. If I don't answer, its because I don't wanna talk or I have no service. In either event, I'm not answering the dang phone!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hate phones,..landline or cell no matter. I have both, why? I have a TracFone,..the best idea going in my opinion. I leave it turned off at all times not unless I need it in an emergency. My landline,..I would LOVE to get rid of it. DH doesn't like the idea, he acts like it is a terrible thing not to have a house phone even though he has a cell and everyone calls him on it, not here at the house. Then there is the internet problem,...being out here in the middle of nowhere all we get is dial-up service,...and it sux,..so no landline, no internet,..but I could live without it. Plus I hate people calling my house phone and it is stupid stuff,...and they always seem to call when you are in the middle of something,..I hate phones. :tongue

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love my cell phone.

I do like having it for emergencies, and I don't have a landline. Anyone I would call is long distance so this ischeaper. I'm not a big phone person though. My phone might ring once a week, so it's not an annoyance. I have to remind myself to call people I want to stay in touch with on the weekends (only have about 250 minutes daytime, so I save that for taking care of business).

It is an iPhone, and has helped me out finding local businesses, routes, etc. I'm new to this area and that part is invaluable.

I don't really like texting, plus it costs 25 cents each. There are two people who insist on communicating with me that way. My brother is one, so I talked him into getting an ap so we can text free. The other is a friend from church, and she's only sent me a few. In most situations, it's just easier to call tho.

I do NOT mess with my phone while driving. I do have games on it, and I might play them if I get bored, but that rarely happens. My games are silent, or I make them silent. Usually it's a scrambled word game, and I think my current game has been loaded for about 2months. I really don't play often, LOL.

So yes, I really like it. I think it's because I control it tho, and not the other way round. :)

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I resisted getting a cell phone for a long time, but now that I do I love it! Got a Droid last year, and it has been the bomb. I can text my daughter at college whenever I want, check news, weather, and Sufficient Self, find where I parked my car (with a great app called Car Matey, haha!), and have a chance at nabbing something useful on Freecycle. I even have an app to look up medical diagnosis codes for work.

Don't have time to be addicted to the thing, but it sure is a useful tool.

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband and I both have cell phones. We don't text or take pictures (even though we can). After I took pictures with the camera once, I found out that the software needed to get the pictures off is no longer available. We don't have a land line to the house, it was expensive enough getting electric service to the house. We have 4 poles along our driveway getting the power to the house, so we are about a block's length off the road.

The funny thing is, that before we had our furniture and other junk moved in, the reception was great from anywhere in the house. Now it is hit and miss with reception. It's getting downright cold to be calling from the back door.

Annette