Cellphones

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Soo... I used to be a cell phone addict. The $#*^ thing rang CONSTANTLY to the point that I would turn it off for 2 - 3 days at a time. When I lost my job 14 months ago, my cell phone was one of the first things to go.

I've been mooching off of my fiance. He just leaves his phone home during the day so I could use if I needed to. On Monday I was thinking that it wasn't bad - that we didn't need 2.

Then on Tuesday we were going to carpool so he has me open my Christmas present early - a cellphone. Slider keyboard type with a camera and 1000 texts per month on the plan.

Only 3 people have my # and I'm already a cell phone addict and texting... picture messages... Oh my!

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
IMHO,cellphones are one of the greatest inventions ever.I have one myself;however,I do not text,play games,take photographs,or play with the thing constantly.I have the thing for business.

It irks me to see grown people play with the stupid things like children.Everywhere you go people are standing in your way,playing with them,their minds in another world.I work with several grown men,in their 30's and 40's,that eat with a fork in one hand and a cellphone in the other.All that buzzing and those stupid ring tones are enough to drive you mad.

If I was that consumed by a cellphone,I would take a pistol and blow my brains out.The day I really lose it is when some one runs in to me because they are playing with their phone while driving.

I imagine that pick pockets and purse snatchers love them because most people are so wrapped up in them they don't know what's going on around them.

Andy J

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't have one
hate them and don't ever use one

Tony has his attached to his ear like an appendage! :(

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love my cell phone, and I am never without it. See, I do ALL the farm chores here...and sometimes I am out into the night...with my cell phone by my side, I am less afraid. I know if I get into a situation, with a nasty Ram, or a coyote....I have the cell to call for help. Of course, the .357 by my side when I am out there at night helps calm fears as well. LOL ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Self absorbed jerks will always be self absorbed jerks. Don't blame the phone :D

I have a crackberry. I use it for work and to stay in contact with my husband and a friend in Denver (Hi Abi!). Since we have a disabled son who goes to community based programs AND could have a total meltdown at any minute requiring me to get him, not having a cell phone isn't an option.

Plus we have old cars and I have the towing option tied to my number. It has saved us a load of money over the years.

Cell phones are just a tool. They can be used or abused base on the user. My dad and ex-step mom had this irrational hatred of phones. I never could figure out what their problem was. Then it hit me. If someone is on their phone, they are not paying attention to THEM! :gig

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I finally got one - just so I could get rid of my land line and dial up internet. I forget to carry it and it wouldn't do me any good to take it with me anyway since there wouldn't be a phone at home to call if I did have an emergency. Hubby won't answer it even if he's standing next to it. I find it just as easy to return calls as it is to answer them - and I can choose who to answer. :lol: :gig

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dh and I each have a cellphone and use it instead of having a land line, since we get great reception on our ridge and it is cheaper (with free long distance) than having a land line. Mine is pretty plain and simple, over 2 years old. It takes pics, but I don't even use that. I never could get into texting. Takes longer to type it up than it would be to just call and talk to someone!

I took my brother morel hunting last spring and his stupid cellphone rang off the hook the whole time, all these girls texting and trying to get ahold of him. Couldn't believe he still had reception all the way out in the woods. I wanted to just grab it and toss it down the steepest ridge I could find. :tongue

He calls his phone his "four inch leash". LOL

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yup - I used to call it a leash too. :gig

I can se this making thins smoother between me and ex-husband regarding visitation. Yesterday I snapped a photo of my son sitting at my desk writing (legibly) and sent it to him.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I rarely even answer my land line, I don't need a leash phone or anything that might become an addiction :p We do have cell phones for emergency use. I just recently ditched our Sprint account because it was a huge wast of money for us - I'm now saving 70 bucks a month and have my TracFone for whenever I need it.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have cell phones and no landline. I'm out in the barn more than I'm in the house. If there is an animal emergency, then I need to be right there with the animal talking to the vet. I only talk on the phone. Don't want to waste time with texting and I just don't take pictures or anything. DH and I each have our own cell phone and my parents have a phone through our plan since they rarely use the phone and it was costing them $50 per month for minimal usage. Everyone was long distance for us so we really broke even as far as landline and long distance cost.