chainsaw question - bar length preference

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got a Stihl MS 171 when my father died. ****ty way to get a first chainsaw, but it happened right when I needed one. It hadn't been started in at least two years and it started right up :).

It's good as a saw you would use to cut small branches (a trimmer so to speak) but it's got a small bar (I want to say 16", but then you also lose an inch or so where the housing begins. That model takes a 14" or 16") so when you're cutting anything of merit you're right up to the material you're cutting, etc...

Anyways, I'm looking at getting a little bigger saw and am curious what you prefer for bar length. The 16" felt like I was just too close, but I'm a little worried that 18" wouldn't be enough of a step up. So, not talking model or engine size what bar size do you prefer for lots of common work? I'm cutting down a ****load of Amur Maple, if you care to know.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I would pass on a saw that was that old. He's selling it for a reason, yes? If it was still meeting his needs, and he trusted it's performance,
he would not be selling it.
I think he fixes some saws up and sells them. Whenever people say they have multiple Xs for sale I have to think that's their hobby

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hubby bought me a Stihl. It's the only brand I can start. I think the bar is 16", but I really have no idea. I know I couldn't handle a bigger one. I've had shoulder surgery and am only 5' 1.5" tall.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We find a 16 is fine for most average trees and such~that's what size my bar is...I think my son's is an 18" and you'd be surprised at how much difference that 2 in. can make. He can get through much, much larger trees with more ease than I can with mine, so his gets a lot more action around here. But, as for me, the 16 is my favorite to use.....my saw is also a little smaller, so I can handle it better.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got a Stihl MS 171 when my father died. ****ty way to get a first chainsaw, but it happened right when I needed one. It hadn't been started in at least two years and it started right up :).

It's good as a saw you would use to cut small branches (a trimmer so to speak) but it's got a small bar (I want to say 16", but then you also lose an inch or so where the housing begins. That model takes a 14" or 16") so when you're cutting anything of merit you're right up to the material you're cutting, etc...

Anyways, I'm looking at getting a little bigger saw and am curious what you prefer for bar length. The 16" felt like I was just too close, but I'm a little worried that 18" wouldn't be enough of a step up. So, not talking model or engine size what bar size do you prefer for lots of common work? I'm cutting down a ****load of Amur Maple, if you care to know.
Well. My dad actually has an old saw that we still use long before he left us. we still use it until now.
I think I would pass on a saw that was that old. He's selling it for a reason, yes? If it was still meeting his needs, and he trusted it's performance,
he would not be selling it.
I would never sell my old saw. It was actually my dad's and it has sentimental value, Even if it is old and rusty. I will never sell it.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Local guy offered my a Stihl 034 Super for $200. I get that it was a good saw but that thing is nearly as old as I am. Is it a worthwhile purchase?

Obviously we've had good improvements in gas efficiency, engine output & safety since then.