chainsaw question - bar length preference

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My Husky chainsaw is a 16" - we use it for limbing.
My DH has 2 Stihl saws. I think one is a 22" bar and the other is 24". We used to heat with wood, so those saws were used a lot. After 4 hours of cutting trees, the 16" was a nice change for him, lol. A lot of the trees we cut down were 18-24" beetle killed Ponderosa Pine.

What size are the trees you are cutting down? Cutting down a 24" diameter tree is tough if you only have 18" of bar...

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Husky chainsaw is a 16" - we use it for limbing.
My DH has 2 Stihl saws. I think one is a 22" bar and the other is 24". We used to heat with wood, so those saws were used a lot. After 4 hours of cutting trees, the 16" was a nice change for him, lol. A lot of the trees we cut down were 18-24" beetle killed Ponderosa Pine.

What size are the trees you are cutting down? Cutting down a 24" diameter tree is tough if you only have 18" of bar...
Smaller than that, generally. There's a ****load of Amur Maple on the property that I need to cut down. Most of it was planted 20 years ago, so it's MATURE and is significant in size. 18" is a good size of a lot of the trunks, but there are some bigger and some larger (multiple trunks).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ah, so you weren't talking of stickwood... lol bet it burns nice when it is dry! is it good for lumber/furniture making?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had to look up Amur Maple - didn't know it was invasive. It must be taking over your place! :(