Chainsaw questiopn

Baystategardener

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Homelite chainsaw that seized up on me recently. I suspect that I failed to put the proper amount of oil into a new can of gas...

IN any case,... the saw is old enough to simply trash and just buy a new one, but before I do, I was wondering if anyone out there has ever had any luck in repairing a saw in this condition?

Thanks Steve in Massachusetts

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is a video on the topic of 2-cycle engine seizures:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lVlE5iwlhI

If the info in that one doesn't do the trick for you, I'd recommend that you do some searching for other Yputube vids that could help.

I've been able to avoid engine seizures, so haven't dealt with the problem.

If you have to replace your saw, I'll just mention that I personally don't like Homelite machines much. The makes that have a good rep and are widely used in my area are Stihl and Husqvarna. My region is a logging and lumbermilling region, and those brands are the ones most used by the guys here. I use a Stihl myself.

Good luck. :)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :frow

We bought a Homelite chainsaw when we first moved to our 17 wooded acres and the cheaper price sold us at the time. :rolleyes: We paid for it as we used the saw twice and it seized up on us. Took it to a small engine repair place and were told it couldn't be fixed. :rant

As soon as we had the extra money, we went to the Stihl dealership (recommended by the fellow who does our small engine repairs), bought a Stihl and have been using it regularly for 2 years now and have never had a problem with it. Lesson learned, for us! ;)

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

Please do yourself a big favor and stay away from Homelite products. Inferior quality.

I'll go along with the Stihl crowd. I have a 16 year old Stihl chainsaw and it starts on first or second pull every time. I have an older Stihl weed whacker and it is the same.

Cricket

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My husband bought me a Jonsereds about 6 years ago--I love it! He's always had Stihl, but ended up replacing his old one with a bigger J's than mine. Get one with a decompression button--it makes starting SO much easier!

Baystategardener

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I got it fixed... and I did it myself. I poured Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinder and waited about 2 hours...drained it out and fired it up. it runs better now than it did before it died..
Not sure how long it will run, but I guess we will see.

I got this saw (free) 8 years ago, used... not sure how old it is... had to replace the gas line when I got it, as the guy who owned it said it was junk and it wouldnt run.. (not with a broken gas line!) So now, aside from gas, oil and a few new chains, i am out about $5.

So I would have to say, i am ahead on this one... Thanks for all your comments! Steve

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i have a huskqarvana and for some reason...it keeps smoking.... i have no clue what could be wrong....ill take some pics tommorrow.....Any know what could be wrong?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maschil said:
i have a huskqarvana and for some reason...it keeps smoking.... i have no clue what could be wrong....ill take some pics tommorrow.....Any know what could be wrong?
What kind of 2-cycle oil are you mixing with? And what ratio are you mixing your gas & oil to?

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Maschil said:
What kind of 2-cycle oil are you mixing with? And what ratio are you mixing your gas & oil to?
ill make sure to look tommorow.... as far is the ratio i purchased one that was mixed already....but just to make sure.... Sae30 in the oil container, and 2-cycle oil and fas in the oil and gas container correct?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maschil said:
ill make sure to look tommorow.... as far is the ratio i purchased one that was mixed already....but just to make sure.... Sae30 in the oil container, and 2-cycle oil and fas in the oil and gas container correct?
Mmm... Don't use SAE 30 motor oil for the chain - use chainsaw chain oil. It's a bit sticky so it adheres to the chain while the chain is running. It tolerates high heat, so normally doesn't smoke when you're cutting with it and the chain becomes hot from friction and engine heat.

There are oils sold specifically as chainsaw-fuel mixing oil. They're better than outboard boat-engine 2-cycle oil, and better even than snowmobile oil. You can mix at a ratio of 50:1, and that too will produce less smoke.