Chainsaw questiopn

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maschil said:
. . . as far is the ratio i purchased one that was mixed already....but just to make sure.... Sae30 in the oil container, and 2-cycle oil and fas in the oil and gas container correct?
This statement concerns me a little. You say you purchased one that was mixed already. One what? And what was mixed already? Two cycle engines are ruined every day by improper fuel mixes. Can you explain a little bit more?

Usually the fuel mix requirement is clearly printed on the chain saw or in the owner's manual. It is always presented as a ratio like 24:1 or 40:1 or 50:1. This means to mix your gasoline with 2-stroke motor oil at that ratio. 50:1 ratio is 50 parts (by volume) gasoline to 1 part (by volume) oil. Most newer 2-stroke engines require a 50:1 gasoline to oil mix nowadays. Always use a high quality 2-stroke engine oil and nothing else. This is the only lubrication your engine ever gets while it's running.

One gallon = 128 ounces.

To determine how much oil to add to one gallon of gasoline to get a 50:1 ratio we divide 128 oz. by 50 and we get 2.56 oz. So we pour 2 1/2 ounces of 2-stroke engine oil into one gallon of gasoline to get a fuel/oil ratio of 50:1

To determine how much oil to add to one gallon of gasoline to get a 24:1 ratio we divide 128 oz. by 24 and we get 5.333 oz. So we pour 5 1/3 ounces of 2-stroke engine oil into one gallon of gasoline to get a fuel/oil ratio of 24:1

The oil chamber or reservoir on the chainsaw is for storage of CHAIN OIL or BAR OIL only (not engine oil). Even though 10W30 or SAE30 engine oil (or any other kind of engine oil) will work OK in the oil reservoir, it's always best to use only chainsaw bar oil. Chainsaw bar oil is made sticky to cling to the chain as it zips around the bar to minimize the friction of the chain against the bar. It is usually sold in one gallon bottles and is clearly marked CHAINSAW BAR OIL.

I hope I have not confused anyone. This information is vitally important to the life and performance of your saw.

isaac carlson

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have been using the tall timber synthetic oil for a few years now in my STIHL.
It runs just as good as ever. I modded the muffler on mine so it could breathe and to help it run cooler.
It makes a big difference.

PREMIUM gas only if you care about your saw. NO ethanol. Ethanol will kill a saw. I have rebuilt too many 2 cycle motors that were run on ethanol gas.

Always use good bar oil. The stihl stuff sticks to the bar better and resists wear better. I used it when I first started cutting, but then went to the cheaper fleet farm stuff.
It works, but I go through more bars and chains with it, so the cost is really higher with the cheap stuff.
If you want to find out how much you can save, look up the price for a new bar....:rant

daver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Great thread as I am looking to buy a chainsaw this weekend. Good info.

Dave

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Some people can't help using ethanol in the gas. I don't know of a place around here that sells gas w/out ethanol.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Some people can't help using ethanol in the gas. I don't know of a place around here that sells gas w/out ethanol.
Yeah, it's like that in my part of the world too.

On the positive side, I've been using really high-grade chainsaw-fuel oil ("mix oil" is what most guys call it here). So, year after year, my chainsaw continues to run well, with minimum maintenance required. I've been able to do this myself, without taking it in to a professional mechanic.