chapter books

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a good recommended reading list for different chapter books by age/grade?

I just ventured into chapter books with my 3 and 5 yr old....trying to make a list! My goal is one a week....does not have to be fiction either.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Just posted on your journal but I will post here for others to see also.
"Mandie"
http://www.mandie.com/mandie.htm

If you like Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie you will love these! I loved this series!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Not a site recommendation, but from personal experience: The My Father's Dragon series by Ruth Stiles Gannett were the first chapter books my son fell in love with. They were recommended by his kindergarten teacher at Montessori school.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, my two kids did not seem to care about recommendations or classics, they just wanted to hear/read whatever book they picked out THEMSELVES at the library or thrift store.

In fact the 6 yr old's first chapter book, probably 3-4 years ago now, was some abysmally-written boring-as-all-get-out Australian thing entitled "The Adventures of Digit Dick" (a boy who is only as tall as your finger -- yes yes, we have made all the possible jokes about this, after the kids' bedtime :p). He picked it out at a thrift store for 10 cents. I loathe that book with every fiber of my being -- it consists primarily of lists of the various Australian wildlife that Dick meets on his adventures, really just LISTS -- but he just thought it was the bees knees and we read the whole darn thing over and over and over. He still reads it himself sometimes.

He likes 'the classics' too of course, but for both of the kids, the main thing seems to be having picked it out. And if you ask me, at that age the most important thing is to enjoy reading or being read to, and really get into the story -- not how well-written the story necessarily is.

(Although my husband discovered that our first-edition Adventures of Digit Dick sells for a pretty decent price to collectors... and don't think I haven't been tempted to "find a better home for it"... :p)

JME, good luck, have fun,

Pat

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lori my kids enjoy me readin magazines to them,..like Countryside and Backyard Poultry,..oh and North American Hunter or whatever else is laying on the coffee table. I don't think they care, they just like that I am taking the time with them. Plus they LOVE Gertrude McCluck in BYP mag.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh, I used to read catalogs to my son when he was 6 months old and he loved it! Hubby thought I was crazy but DS didn't care :p

I just signed up for the Simply Charlotte Mason newsletter and I am checking out some of the recommendations on there as well. Thanks everyone!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
My son's favorites were The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks series by Nancy McArthur.

I was looking for books by Ohio authors for the kids when this prof from my alma mater started writing this series back in the 80's. I think you could probably get them on Amazon.

iheartmaddy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I work at a bookstore and in charge of the children's and young adult area. I usually recommend Cam Jensen by Adler, Magic Tree house By Osborne, Junie B. Jones by Park, A to Z Mysteries by Roy (kids love this series), The Bailey School House Kids by Dadey, Horrible Harry by Kline and Amelia Bedelia by Parish. I could go on and on, but I won't. Hope this helps.

Latest posts