Chard with rice recipe

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The chard we planted in December is now ready to harvest and we are always trying new recipes to use our crop. One locally suggested recipe is a traditional vegetarian Cypriot recipe. Why not give it a try.

Ingredients:

800ml water;
A bunch (10-15) chard leaves thoroughly washed and dried
350g of long grain rice;
A large onion, finely chopped;
2 large tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped into chunks;
Olive oil for frying;
a small bunch of parsley finely chopped;
a tablespoon of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.

Method:

1. Remove the ribs and stems from the chard and cut into large pieces.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and cook chopped onion until softened.
3. Add the water, tomatoes, rice, parsley and lemon juice. Season to taste and stir to combine.
4. Bring to the boil and stir in the chard.
5. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes on a low heat, or until the rice has absorbed most of the water.
6. Take off the heat and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving with a fresh roll.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I've never even tried chard :hide Looks like a nice healthy recipe though :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe. The chard in my garden overwintered well, and this sounds like a good way to use some of it up.

One I sometimes use - though not vegetarian - I got from an English cooking show ("Two Fat Ladies Cook" or something like that) on public television decades ago. Saute some chopped onion and garlic, and add 1 or 2 anchovy fillets. Stir for a bit till the anchovies disintegrate, and add chopped chard stalks. Cover, and let steam till the chard is almost tender. Stir in the chopped leaves, cover again till the leaves are wilted and everything is hot through. Season with pepper, or hot pepper flakes, if desired. The anchovies are not obvious in the final dish, but they add an interesting salty taste. Don't leave them out, even if you don't normally like anchovies ... or do, but realize that it won't be the same dish ;)

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe ORchick - another one to try.

Rarity

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I like chard, and had good success with it in my garden last year. It was so colorful! Yellow, red, purple, green and white.

It looks like a very good recipe.

tdbarani

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This sounds good! We always have a ton of chard and are on the lookout for new recipes. Will have to try this one out. Thanks for sharing!

Tammy