Cheap firewood!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I finally found a source of cheap firewood around here! I don't have any on my place to cut and I don't know anyone around here enough to cut on their place, so I've been pretty stumped about how to obtain firewood without handing over my firstborn as payment.

To get wood delivered is pretty pricey around here, for the amount you get. The best I've seen is a dump truck load that only yields 1 & 3/4 cords (4 x 4 X 8 ft.) for $175. Of course, its delivered and dumped on your doorstep, but that's not much wood up in these parts! The state no longer issues permits to cut downed trees on state land, so that was out. Our church has a firewood ministry that we help with, but we don't like to use it much ourselves, as I don't want the church to feel like they've taken us to raise! :lol:

So....we found out the local sawmill sells bundles of "seconds", mainly oak and poplar, for $20 a piece. It took us 3 trips in our 4 x 8 ft. utility trailer to bring home one bundle, which equals about $30 in gas (the mill is about a 40 mile round trip over a big mountain). One bundle was approx. 2 ft. wide X 5 ft. tall X 12 ft. long, once cut and stacked. We bought 2 bundles for now.

So...for the price of approx. $100 (wood and gas) we will obtain a wood pile of 4 X 5 X 24 instead of paying $175 for an 8 X 4 X 16 pile. That's 480 sq. ft. of wood for $100 vs. 512 sq. ft. for $175. Not bad. That extra $75 dollars saved would have only paid for 32 sq. ft. of firewood if delivered by the dumptruck.

The boards were easy to cut up into stove lengths and will make great kindling when cut down to the proper size with an axe. I figure we could buy another 2 bundles and have twice what we got by on last year! $200 is not a bad price for a winter's fuel bills, at that!

Anyone else relying on cheap firewood this year? Any great source we all are overlooking when we go to buy firewood? (It still galls me to have to buy firewood...when we were growing up, we had enough land to cut our own.)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
yes--we heat exclusively with wood. We're very lucky to have enough land on both sides of the family and our own to provide the downed trees.

One idea. We have people who selectively log around us, but the loggers never want to take the huge tops of the trees. Neighbors are often happy to have somebody else cut up that messy pile, which still has a lot of excellent firewood.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good deal on the wood
you are right, PAYING for firewood is horrible...LOL...I know what you mean. We have alot of land and trees and that isn't a problem for us ever.

But you are using milled boards? Just be careful they are not soaked in any dangerous chemcials ya know???? Burning boards that are chemically treated might be bad for you???

just a thought

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not treated, as they are just rough cut lumber and not good enough for sale.

Yes, Me&, I've explored the whole logging thing and one of the ladies with which I worked offered that option. But every time I asked about it later, she was evasive. I think her husband had other ideas. The folks around here are pretty strange about sharing excess or allowing people they don't know on their property. That means....well...US! We are about the only strangers around here...and we've been here 3 years now. These folks are real strange about keeping outsiders out. :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL
we kinda have the good neighbor click down here also. It took a long time for me to be part of the group...LOL

strangers are squint-eyed upon...HAHA...until they show their worth in my area. Worth being "good helping" neighbors. If ya don't help someone, sometime, they it don't come back to you down where I am.

kinda ensures the group that does help each other will survive if times get rough. I know I could easily survive with my "click" in the area and we would all help each other to make it....what one doesn't have, the other can supply so we would all do well.

glad the lumber is untreated. you got a good deal and clean burning boards then. winter I hope is not too nasty this year....I fear alot of ice storms here for some reason :)---

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick I do to. We haven't had a bad winter in a few yrs so our luck is running out fast.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ncountrygirl
You do too.....you have the feeling a bad winter is coming. Yup, me too cause we have gotten away very good the last few years and it just feels like "change" is happening again in the weather pattern.

oh boy right? you know how horrible it is when "the south" gets a winter storm..HAHA...chaos! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
ncountrygirl
You do too.....you have the feeling a bad winter is coming. Yup, me too cause we have gotten away very good the last few years and it just feels like "change" is happening again in the weather pattern.

oh boy right? you know how horrible it is when "the south" gets a winter storm..HAHA...chaos! :)
Well, the fact that my summer was so cool that my tomatoes didn't produce and my lettuce didn't bolt...all summer? I only had the fan on at night 3 times all summer? That fall is a month early this year? All of these things have my Spidey senses tingling! I hope we are wrong, but I feel a big one comin' on also.

We are battening down the hatches and getting prepared for a hard winter this year. Stocking up on the food in the cellar, insulating the cellar and chicken coop (against draughts, mainly) and laying in an excessive amount of firewood. Paying up the rent for a couple of months in advance, stocking up on animal feed, keeping a good supply of kerosene for the lamps, drawing up some jugs of water to keep in the cellar, etc. I'm not normally a cautious, worry wart about stocking up and playing it safe, but I feel a sense of ....well, I don't know how to describe it! :/

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
First of all- great score on the wood- already seasoned too.
Things here have been too warm- and it rained in July- very rare. It's heading to 90 again today. Very unusual to get that hot at all and it's already happened twice this spring and summer. And it snowed down to the beach in April- never have seen that happen. So I'm a little unsure about this winter too- I just hope our rain comes as normal.

I've bought more pellets for the stove than normal too- but just because prices have gone up so much.

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bee I think it's like you said Spidey senses, I have felt like this all summer, I don't know why but have felt like this is the yr. The south is gonna get whopped and we might as well get prepared. It's better than waiting till the last minute.