Cheap firewood!

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BeeKissed,

I know what you are talking about here. I too have to get wood and such and "expect" everyone to be happy to help. It is almost comical how they will just say "no".

We went over to mow my Mother in Law's lawn because her seven grown children couldn't get it together to do it all summer and guess what, they pulled up chairs and watched me, my husband and son do all the work. What a family. I kept thinking to myself what a bunch of lazy... But I wasn't doing it for them, I was doing it for her and I feel good about it.

I have finally started telling those who tell me no that any help they need will from this point on go "unheard".

It was hard to tell them but I just got fed up. I just say "well, remember the time we helped you without questions asked--don't ask for our help again".

I really don't care if they help us anymore. We still have a blast as a family and we feel proud of every job we do.

I have made it this far without their help and will continue.

I will have to turn a blind I the next time there is an emergency and that will be hard.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
OH Shareneh, I know the feeling. I live close to my in-laws, and since the DH is a trucker, its me alone..ALOT. I have long since given up asking for help with things, as it seems its never 'convenient' for them to help me, yet they will call 'last minute' needing me to pick them up, or help them out in some form or fashion. *sigh* And I too, have said "sorry, too busy' on more than one ocassion, lol.

Anyway, this is a great thread and has sparked a good discussion between the DH and I concerning the cost of LP feul and a woodstove..thanx! :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I try to think of helping as I think of "lending" money- I never lend but consider the money as given away without it ever coming back or being spoken of again. If I don't have it to give away, then I say no.
Help is the same way (or should be- I have never borrowed money but have needed help,) - I give it if I can without expectations because it makes me think well of myself. To expect gratitude from most people is to cultivate unhappiness for myself.
I keep reminding myself of this because it eases my own life- I am not in control of what other people do- just my own attitude about it- mostly -sometimes I have to give myself a good shake repeatedly because it's easier said than done. See previous post on motion detectors-lol

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I too have been getting ready for the winter. I have a feeling about this one. I went out yesterday and bought lots of lanterns, oil and about 50 candles.
We have a generator as well, hopefully we won't need any of this stuff. But I just don't know.
New England is known for its unpredictable weather, like the blizzard we woke up to on Easter morning a few years back, that no one predicted.
I am stocking up on firewood too. This is the first year in 20 years that I will have to purchase some. I have always gotten the wood off of my property.
I have lots of things canned now, but I am going to stock up the root cellar.
Then there are the eggs I will never have to shop for all winter.
It just stinks to have to go out in the cold snowy weather and shop anyway, and then there are the people who hear we are going to get an inch of snow and panic, they mob the stores like they are never going to get out again so its a crazy scene in the supermarkets.
I think its because there have been too many times we were only suppose to get a little snow and then we get two feet dumped on us and people are nervous.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I always find it comical and somewhat irritating to get that first skiff of snow and everyone starts driving 25 mph and slamming on their brakes every two seconds! For land's sakes, people, we live in the mountains!!! Never seen snow before? I am a very vocal driver, BTW! :rolleyes: Nothing is more irritating than to have your children in the car, driving in the snow and someone in front of you slams on their brakes over and over as they go along. Gear down, whatever it takes, just don't put on those brakes all the sudden! :p

I am going to ask my neighbor about purchasing some of their potatoes, as they always have too many and try to give them away each spring. They have the best potatoes! My taters didn't do well this year. Just trying to stock up where I can.

Pioneergirl, I hope you are successful in persuading the hubby about the wood stove...fuel prices are astronomical compared to heating with wood. I couldn't ever pay the bills if I had to buy fuel.

I'm going to recycle a large piece of slate as a heat shield this year, as the one I bought from the store was very ineffective. The way they have this stove setup designed, its too close to the wall for my comfort, so heat shield it is.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
My favorite irritation in snow (although lots less dangerous,) is shoveling out the driveway only to see the snow plow heading towards you at 220 miles per hour. I think the plow people see it as a recreational sport.

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We only got one neighbor here.( and i MEAN a genuine NEIGHBOR !!) He owns 'bout half this county around us and if/when a tree falls or is storm dammaged he says i'm helpin him out by usin it fer firewood coz then he don't hafta clean it up himslef.
So many trees down in the woods here that i recently had to sell my Martin :hit to buy a splitter.
We got 8 fireplaces.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
8 fireplaces...wow...is it literally one in each room for heating or are you a bed and breakfast business or something like that?? just wondering :)

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
8 fireplaces...wow...is it literally one in each room for heating or are you a bed and breakfast business or something like that?? just wondering :)
Well, there's one in the living room,one in the other living room,one in the kitchen,one in the bedroom, one in the other bedroom, one in the other bedroom and one in the summer kitchen in the basement.Oh yeah, and one outside where the addition, "great room" was before the fire. So that makes....8 yeah that's it..8
(Pics #2 & #3 were taken last Oct. before we moved in.)

Here's the one in the Original Kitchen. Janet and i affectionately refer to it simply as the "Corall" >git it? nudge nudge ,say no more lol To it's right the original dry sink is still in the closet where it was built. And no, that fire back is not a repro.

Picture001Small-1.jpg

And here is a better explanation as to why a fireplace in every room. Built in 1830.

Picture134.jpg

And here's the one outside where the "great room" was. Man is it nice to sit out there on cool, even cold evenings and snuggle on the glider with my baby with that fire blazin.

Picture136.jpg

In all seriousness Karen. We would absolutely love for this to be a B&B.One that we could open at no charge to travelers.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow--built in 1830---that home has so much character. very nice! Something so attractive about older homes to me! The outside fireplace seems wonderful.

was the home ever upgraded to electric heat or such? Or do you exclusively use the fireplaces for heat in all the rooms thru winter?

Latest posts