Cheap firewood!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chkmom
I didn't know that either about the national forests, great resource...THANKS!

And the price---WOW---wonderful!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
chkmom

Also might want to check out the lumber mill, like mentioned in my OP! No hard work involved with this...just load, cut and stack. No traipsing through the underbrush, getting eaten up with bugs and bees, no splitting big logs, no snakes, etc. Some of these lumber mills are even cheaper than what I paid at $20.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you said it beekissed....I already made note of your great find! HA HA

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
FarmerChick said:
chkmom

Also might want to check out the lumber mill, like mentioned in my OP! No hard work involved with this...just load, cut and stack. No traipsing through the underbrush, getting eaten up with bugs and bees, no splitting big logs, no snakes, etc. Some of these lumber mills are even cheaper than what I paid at $20.
That sounds perfect, but I really don't think we have an lumber mills around...guess I have some research to do! Thank you :)

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad to help with the info. It sure helped us out. That is the only wood we use. Well, sometimes we get wood from DH's work. We get scraps from construction.

When I was with my ex, we used to go to the local union carpenters school and they had a pile in back with scraps that anyone could take. When DH worked out in the field before his back injury, he would bring trailer loads of scraps from his jobs. I have known people that go around to construction sites and ask if they can have the scraps. Just bee careful what you burn, you don't want to burn any treated wood or ply-wood or glu lams, basically any kind of manufactured wood product.

Monica

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just saw this thread after i got done sharing about sources of free firewood on a thread here about choosing between a pellet stove or wood stove.Oh well.....i'll mention my sources again here...I've never had to buy firewood..
In my hometown, the highway dept always leaves good firewood along side the road, free for the taking, from trees they take down.. When ever we have a storm with high winds, i know theres going to be downed trees around. Nobody complains about someone cleaning up storm damaged trees from the roadways, and often home owners will let you cut up trees and take the wood, just to get rid of it from storm damage...
Another trick i've learned is to ask builders on new construction sites if those lengths of longs laying around the edges of the building lots have a home..? You'd be surprised how many say take them, i don't want it...I've gotten countless cords of fine oak this way...I've been heating with wood for over 25 yrs, and never bought a single log..I'm always driving my pick-up,and on the look-out. Wood disappears quickly around here, so when i see it, i jump into action,if you wait, you'll likely lose out..
Thats what its like where i live,( L.I.N.Y.) i don't have any sawmills or national parks/forest by me, so i guess every area is different when it comes to cheap or free firewood...I love wood heat and free wood...:)

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is a great thread! I agree nothing worse than paying for firewood or chimney cleaning.

According to the University of Missouri, a cord of oak is equivalent to about 180 gallons of fuel oil.

http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/forestry/g05450.htm

If you have a newer stove that is 70% efficient, 180X.70= 136 gallons. I'm guessing heating oil is about $2.50 per gallon? now? (edit Yikes make that $3.75 please forgive me.)
That's about $340 dollars in the bank:) per cord. (edit to about $500, oh my!)

beekissed said:
I finally have my garage full of firewood and I feel absolutely RICH! No kidding,
You truly are! My funky woodshed is worth thousands at this point.
This is the best way to look at it, besides being good excercise.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
In the extra nice areas of the suburbs people pay to have trees cut down and then they pay to have the wood hauled away. Everyone on those streets converted their fireplaces to gas! I have gotten the nice cut logs for free from these people. They are happy because they think they've saved $1200 hauling fees and I love getting free oak, cherry and hickory. Sure, I still need to load and split those logs but I love it; keeps me young and warm.