Cheap Tires?

GoddessDanu

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. :)

My husband has been looking for new tires for his Suburban for a while now. The cheapest place in town is Walmart but we refuse to shop Walmart so he's been calling around with no luck. The cheapest he found for the size tire we have is $650 for a set of four tires.

Can anyone recommend where we can go for tires that won't break the bank? We're currently in the process of adopting a sibling group right now so money is very tight.

Thanks for your help!

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can try www.tirerack.com They ship them to you and you have to take them somewhere to get mounted. They tend to be cheaper.

That said, tires for a suburban are going to be on the pricey side.

Inchworm

kohburn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
just a thought but salvage yards often have sets of used tires that are perfectly good for sale for 10$ a peice because its expensive to dispose of them they sell the tires cheap.

Reaction score
GoddessDanu said:
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. :)

My husband has been looking for new tires for his Suburban for a while now. The cheapest place in town is Walmart but we refuse to shop Walmart so he's been calling around with no luck. The cheapest he found for the size tire we have is $650 for a set of four tires.

Can anyone recommend where we can go for tires that won't break the bank? We're currently in the process of adopting a sibling group right now so money is very tight.

Thanks for your help!
Bite the bullet. We have a burb too. It's a 2500 and tires at Sam's were 168.00 ea. Closest was Big-O at 190.00 ea. Used tires are an option, but safety could be a factor. Sometimes you can't tell if a belt is damaged.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree...bite the bullet on new tires.

We have big trucks and big farm equipment.....and yikes, tire prices stink but good tires do last longer and with proper maintenance, should provide their full term for use.

OUCH on the price...I KNOW!!!!! :(

Tony's truck tires were $700 (and we caught that before the price hike...I think they are like a little over $850 now cause they were going up like 40 per tire! :(

Reaction score
Be sure you get them somewhere that provides free rotations. It's the biggest tread saving thin you can do behind proper inflation. Suburbans never get 100% aligned anyway.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
When I was a delivery driver, I used to buy used tires. We have a place that sells new, used and retreads. Been doing business with them forever.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We just bought like new used tires from a guy who buys all the tires off wrecked cars. It was a bargain at $40 each, including mounted and balanced, for heavy duty truck tires for our off road 4x4 truck. Ask the police, insurance and towing who buys the tires from wrecked vehicles.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I haven't bought new tires for about 10 years now. I have a local salvage yard that give me screaming deals on darn near NEW tires! I would never be afraid of buying used tires, but then I know what to look out for. Just last month, I bought a full set of 4, 31x10.50-15's that couldn't have had 2000 miles on them for 100.00. Add another 4 bucks for mounting and balancing and I am a very happy camper. :cool:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've bought used tires before with great results! They last just as long as the new ones, it seems. Most are barely worn and I've bought some with the little nubbies still on the tire. Its worth it to get through a tight spot until you can get new ones next time.

I'm lucky that I have a little Mayberry-type Exxon in the next town where the prices are the best I've found.....and the guys are definitely worth the trip~just like Mayberry RFD! Old building, old men sitting around shooting the breeze, service with a smile and a joke and good work, honest prices. Blessings for a single woman!