Cheapest way to raise meat to eat

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Actually Guinea Pigs were originally raised in South America as a food animal.

I know in some countries they DO eat rats, mice and bugs regularly. I regularly eat squirrel, and rabbit. Probably not much different than rat, but I grew up eating squirrels. :p

Deb - I first learned to clean fish as a kid as well. If your hubby is willing, ask him to make those roosters dead and then YOU do all of the plucking and cleaning part. Probably he doesn't want to get roped into doing the whole thing. PLUS the first few times it is easier to learn how to clean a chicken if you don't have to do the dead thing the first few times.
He doesn't want to do ANY of it! He won't even show me. When we were dating, one the the things that attracted him to me was the fact that I carried a fishing pole in my truck. (I worked on a farm that had several irrigation ponds. So, if the weather was nice, I'd spend my lunch hour fishing. I'd never eat the fish though, I was too afraid of the pesticides that may have been in them!) He liked to both hunt and fish. He was going to teach me how to hunt. After we got married, he did buy me both a .410, and a 20 gauge. (You can't hunt w/a rifle in Jersey) I don't think we went out even 1/2 a dozen times. I used to go out by myself, but didn't have a clue as to what I was doing, and never got anything. :( One day, I hope to have the time to learn how to hunt and how to cook anything I get.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If your hubby is willing, ask him to make those roosters dead and then YOU do all of the plucking and cleaning part.
Oh, don't get roped into doing that!!! My mother did, as my dad would complain that gutting deer was just too much for his sensitive nose and nature and that he couldn't eat the meat later if he had to gut it.....

Translation? You do it, old lady. :smack

Hundreds of deer later, both dad's and my brother's, not to mention my son's, my mother has had to do all the deer gutting, skinning and processing. How convenient! :rolleyes:

I'd say, you don't kill and gut, you don't eat. I made sure my sons got to do their own deer when they got old enough to wield a knife....no sensitive men at my house. Not for this old gal!!! :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My hubby won't clean chickens. He HAS done it in the past, but these days it is not in his job description! He is not very good at it anyway... always leaves pin feathers. :/ He DOES help me make turkeys dead. They are just too big for me to do myself.

I don't mind being the chief critter cleaner and cook. I just save him for other jobs (like busting concrete or fixing our vehicles) that I really don't like or can't physically do. He does his fair share, so he still gets to eat. ;) :D

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since I don't want to do my own oil changes or brake jobs I do not require my hubby to be present for chicken gutting. However I draw the line at him killing something and not cleaning it himself, or at least helping. No way that will fly or I'll spend way too much time cleaning up! He loves the shooting part, and he would be back in the bush after just dropping off the first kill if I let him.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
My mother did, as my dad would complain that gutting deer was just too much for his sensitive nose and nature and that he couldn't eat the meat later if he had to gut it.....
You know I can't even prepare and cook liver and then eat it. I LOVE it if someone else does the preparations and cooks it, but if I've seen it like a big fat blob of blood, I can't eat it. :hide I have tried more than once, just can't do it. My hubby said the last time that he'd prepare and cook it for me :love

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I wouldn't eat liver even if I had prepared it and cooked it! :sick

Now...a nice red tender loin off a young doe? You betcha! I would kill that deer with a pair of fingernail clippers and gut it with tweezers if it meant getting to eat the tenderloin!!! :drool :D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I love liver, I feel so primative when I do, but nothing beats it with some onion and bacon - DAMN now I want some!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
If your hubby is willing, ask him to make those roosters dead and then YOU do all of the plucking and cleaning part.
Oh, don't get roped into doing that!!! My mother did, as my dad would complain that gutting deer was just too much for his sensitive nose and nature and that he couldn't eat the meat later if he had to gut it.....

Translation? You do it, old lady. :smack

Hundreds of deer later, both dad's and my brother's, not to mention my son's, my mother has had to do all the deer gutting, skinning and processing. How convenient! :rolleyes:

I'd say, you don't kill and gut, you don't eat. I made sure my sons got to do their own deer when they got old enough to wield a knife....no sensitive men at my house. Not for this old gal!!! :p
Did we grow up in the same family Bee??? Men in my family are the same way. Me? I was fascinated by the entire process and was happy to help! But maybe I'm just morbid like that. :p

You are soo right. It is SO easy to pull a trigger from a distance. But if a lot of hunters - grown men - had to dispatch it by walking up to it, looking it in the eye, slitting it's throat, etc. Yeah. There would be a lot more deer out there. :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I find it both amusing and annoying that men who claim a weak stomach for these things can celebrate aFART that can knock a buzzard off a gut wagon..... :rolleyes: :smack

Who do they think they are foolin'? :p

Latest posts