Cheapest way to raise meat to eat

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
What does guinea pig taste like? It's kind of an odd dish. Never known anyone that eats it. I know they do in other countries, but they eat a lot of things in different countries I don't eat. I don't think I could ever eat bugs, unless maybe I'm starving, and out of ammo, and just lost my last fishing hook, and there's no grass to eat, and...nope...I guess I'd just die first :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have a Facebook friend that does raise guinea pigs (and other animals) for meat. They seem so small to me. Is there a lot of meat on their little bodies?

I raise rabbits for meat (and wool, and to sell). I am just starting out for the first year of having some butchering rabbits. WE've eaten rabbit 4 times this year. I have a rabbit roast in the fridge for tonight and another 4 pounds or so in the fridge to do something with or freeze. And 2 more to butcher as soon as possible.

I was hoping to have a steady supply of rabbit through the winter, but my last 3 breedings didn't "take." Trying again.

The last rabbit meal we had was rabbit fajitas. (Yum!) I sliced up some loin and tenderloin and cooked it up in lard and fajita spices.

I think my neighbors know. We live in a rural/agricultural community so processing venison, cleaning fish, and raising animals for meat is fairly normal.

I would love to have a steady supply of meat between rabbit, venison, and fish. Maybe someday we'll move and I can add in chickens.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Quail are pretty tiny but worth the effort. Fluffy pigs are twice as big :D

Barred Babies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi!! :frow Visited here a few times but I've just joined today!! Just got finished reading through this thread and gathered some great ideas!!

The only thing we raise right now for food is chickens. Mostly eggs but we just processed our first roosters last Sat. Hubby and I have been talking about raising rabbit, quail, turkey etc. and he's supposed to fence in some more of our property for a few head of cattle I want to raise! Still haven't talked him into raising pigs though! (But I'm still working on it;))

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Who wants to get guinea pigs now..? I do!

Really, rabbits and guinea pigs are VERY duel purpose. You get a cute adorable little pet, and when you are bored of it.. Supper! :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Blackbird said:

Really, rabbits and guinea pigs are VERY duel purpose. You get a cute adorable little pet, and when you are bored of it.. Supper! :lol:
:yuckyuck

That's too funny! My breeders are my pets... until they are retired. My 3 year old son sometimes refers to his dinner by name.

Me: "What do you want for dinner?"
Him: "Pecan!"
Me: "We already ate Pecan."
Him: "Pretty!"
Me: "We already ate Pretty. Choose something else."

:gig

ETA: typo

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tooooooooooooooooo funny you are blackbird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have been researching aquaponics alot and i think i may try my hand at it next year

Blackbird said:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Barred Babies said:
Just wanted to say hi!! :frow Visited here a few times but I've just joined today!! Just got finished reading through this thread and gathered some great ideas!!

The only thing we raise right now for food is chickens. Mostly eggs but we just processed our first roosters last Sat. Hubby and I have been talking about raising rabbit, quail, turkey etc. and he's supposed to fence in some more of our property for a few head of cattle I want to raise! Still haven't talked him into raising pigs though! (But I'm still working on it;))
Welcome to the forum! :)

Frugal Que

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Blackbird & Tortoise, you two are hilarious!

Never had squirrel but I would have no problem trying it. What do they taste like?

Guinea pigs are a mild meat. Not gamey. I would say similar to rabbit. I love rabbit! :) Yes, guinea pigs are small but since we also raise quail, in my eyes, they are more meat. We usually put them on the rotisserie in the toaster oven. Yummy!