Cheapest way to raise meat to eat

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think there is anyone with more wildlife/preditors than me. And I have heard from multiple sources of a huge coon in my immediate area and now I am experiencing a problem with dogfood being hauled off and opened up.
Well you know what they say about what you do when life hands you lemons.........well I am planning on eating a big coon dinner real soon, with sweetpotatoes and mustard or spinach greens, served over rice.
Bloom where u planted ya'll.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've been wondering about that.....I've eaten coon and it was mighty greasy. So is goose or duck and they usually cook those on a rack and let the grease drip down, don't they? Why couldn't one do that with coon? Or would the lack of skin keep the meat from staying moist?

Or could you marinate and grill it with more success? :drool

I think small game will probably be on the menu more and more in the near future if the coyote explosion doesn't eliminate that possibility.

Hmmmmmm.........wonder what coyote tastes like........ :pop

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Never tried any sorta animal from the dog family, but I have often said that I would. Everyone believes me too. Depending on what I am up to when the opportunity arrives, I am just the one to give it a try. Never ate a possum either, but if I felt myself in a pinch and had one.......oh yeah.....I'd try it. Don't expect that to happen this week though.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are considering Kune Kune pigs. They are very clean unlike hogs, do not root so your lawn and pasture stay intact. You need a breeding pair to be profitable, even for your own meat harvest.

If you start breeding and raising dogs for meat slaughter your neighbors will hate you and you will have animal rights activists at your door.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Kunekune pigs cannot be compared to any other breed. These pigs are very gentle, small, easy to keep, fabulously colorful and extremely friendly. Kunes are larger than other small breeds, but still a very small pig. Usually, they range from 90 to 120 pounds, but some boars can get close to 200 pounds. No other pig breed is as friendly or easy on the environment. They can be fattened on grass alone and are known for their unusual ability to graze. They do not root like other pigs. The sweet disposition of the kunekune and their small size make them great for children. I have taken my pigs to church and school for special events. They trailer like a dream and will walk right in their very first time.
Wow. These sound like ideal pigs. Maybe even OFG wouldn't hate them too much!

:gig

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
If you live near a suburban area consider bowhunting. Lots of people will let you put up a climber stand in their back yard to get rid of the deer. My husband has done this....the landowner just needs to get a nuisance permit.

You can try putting an ad on CL and see if someone would be willing to sell you their surplus deer meat if you are not a hunter. I have seen people give away deer meat cause they just don't have room in their freezers for more.

Squirrel is an option...

We raise cornish x every year and this year we have enough surplus orders from people to pay for the cost of ordering the new birds. We sell our finished, packaged birds for $10 a piece. We came out at around $7.50 per bird finished last year and put 30 in the freezer.

If you are a big meat eating family I advise getting a small chest freezer. It is worth it in the long run to have one, I think. I killed 3 deer last year and we put all 3 in the deep freezer with the 30 chickens and I found some pork tenderloin on sale and cut that up into steaks and threw that in there too. I had a little room leftover for a few veggies.....I'm working on cleaning out that freezer now....bow season starts in a couple weeks!

And lastly, try eating more veggies!

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I believe the cheapest way is to stack species, ala Salatin. If you don't have much pasture, then small herd animals are the way to go.
Could you explain what this means, I have never heard of it before?

Latest posts