Check out this food storage idea!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey that is clever!

Those shelves look really shallow though and I woudl worry about earthquakes :rolleyes:

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Dace said:
Hey that is clever!

Those shelves look really shallow though and I woudl worry about earthquakes :rolleyes:
Just increase the width of the boards across the front of the rack to better hold things in place. You may have to turn some items on their side, and then stand them up after their in the rack, but it would better hold them in place.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is exactly the type of storage I am trying to talk my husband into in our kitchen, our pantry is full and we have a long blank wall that I want to make is single width can storage with a sliding chalkboard over the shelves so they are out of sight. Hubby not thrilled with the idea but I like being able to see the canned good single file and easy to grab what you need. I had not seen a picture of somebody else using the idea, I am going to show the hubby. Thanks for posting.

As for Earthquake country I would add a stabilizer either bar or inch wide band across the center of the cans height on shelf and that should take care of them.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My mom has long shelves and then full quilts hanging on several of her walls as decorations. She has family photos sitting on the shelves. She made all of the quilts herself I think she has 4 of them hanging up...two in the spare bedroom and two in the living room. That would make a LOT of storage space!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Is it me or does it look like those shelves are set WITHIN the walls, between the studs?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Is it me or does it look like those shelves are set WITHIN the walls, between the studs?
I see the same paint and a light switch. I don't think it is built in.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think they are, or at least that is my plan, jars and cans are the perfect width to fit between a 2x4 interior wall. I want mine to be flush not sticking out even a little like the ones shown here. I was going to simplify and just use 2x4 nailed in between the studs for the shelving after I cut away the drywall if that makes sense then trim it out to look finished.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I absolutely love this idea. :)

I have a similar shelf in my garage, in a pass-through wall between doors where nothing else will fit. I have in the past had snakes get in my pantry and knock jars off the shelf. Strong snakes, I guess!

I put screws on each side of the shelf and attached two strands of baling wire across the front to keep things from falling or being pushed off. Something across the front like this would probably help in an earthquake too?

I do love the idea of putting otherwise unused space to work. And it doesn't even show. Love the idea of hanging quilts over them too. :)